ECN Forum
Posted By: aldav53 bond for fountain and jacuzzi - 03/05/02 01:04 PM
On a residential home, the motor casing on a jacuzzi and a fountain needs to be bonded, does it have to come directly from the main panel or can I bond it from another ground source? Has to be continious too I belive.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: bond for fountain and jacuzzi - 03/05/02 01:31 PM
Don't confuse the bonding requirement with the grounding requirement. The pump motor will require an EGC as part of the power circuit. In addition to the EGC, a #8 solid copper conductor shall be used to bond together all metal parts associated with the hydromassage tub. There is no reason to extend this #8 bonding conductor back to the service grounding system. It is only there to make sure that there can be no potential differences in voltage between conductive part of the tub. See 680-73.
See 680-53 for fountains.
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: aldav53 Re: bond for fountain and jacuzzi - 03/06/02 02:43 AM
Code says to bond all metal parts motor casings etc. together with #8, the only place to bond this one is to the nearby juction box which uses 14g wire. ??
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: bond for fountain and jacuzzi - 03/06/02 03:45 AM
Al,

The only requirement is that they all be connected to each other. Connecting to a Grounding wire is optional. And I believe that it can be spliced with fittings listed for the purpose.

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums