ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky Fire Alarm Q - 12/11/01 11:03 AM
Does an existing fire alarm system that is lacking in current compliance need to be brought up to standards?
I hear this is somewhere in NFPA 72 ( we are still on the '96), but cannot find it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Fire Alarm Q - 12/11/01 11:42 AM
See NFPA 72, 1999 edition, Section 1-2.3
Unless otherwise noted, it is not intended that the provisions of this document be applied to facilities, equipment, structures, or installations that were existing or approved for construction or installation prior to the effective date of the document.

Exception: Those cases where it is determined by the authority having jurisdiction that the existing situation involves a distinct hazard to life or property.
Posted By: sparky Re: Fire Alarm Q - 12/11/01 11:00 PM
Joe,
Would this apply across the board? I have old pre-ADA systems who's horn/strobes would not comply per today
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Fire Alarm Q - 12/11/01 11:59 PM
Sparky: I would say yes because this rule is in the first chapter and covers "Fundamentals of Fire Alarm Systems"

The exception would have to be enforced by the AHJ. Did you ask the AHJ about your systems? If they still work I would not consider it as a "distinct hazard."

Just an opinion .....
Posted By: sparky Re: Fire Alarm Q - 12/12/01 10:05 PM
Understood. I think perhaps the confusion is mine, lost bettween code updates and 'change of use' concerning public buildings. I will ask, my AHJ never seems to tire educating me.

[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums