ECN Forum
Posted By: Scott Yeazell 300-5d - 12/03/01 08:49 PM
Do underground service entrance conductors installed by directional boring method rather than trenching require a warning ribbon?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: 300-5d - 12/03/01 09:06 PM
Yes. There were proposals made to provide such an exemption, but they were rejected. The chances of damage from future excavation do not change just because you used a closed rather than open excavation method for the installation. If you want to bore you will have to do it twice, one for the cable and one for the ribbon.
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: 300-5d - 12/05/01 01:12 AM
As the result of a follow up question to me from Scott on this subject via e-mail I did some additional research. My original post is not entirely correct.
A proposal was submitted to the NFPA for a change in 300-5(d) for the 2002 code. This was proposal 3-43. The proposal asked that the following wording be added to 300-5(d): "Horizontally bored service laterals shall be exempt from this requirement." Code Making Panel 3 rejected the proposal with the statement that; "Present language only addresses trenching, not boring, thus boring is already excluded from the ribbon requirement".
This indicates to me that the panel did not intend to require a ribbon above cables that were installed by boring. It aprears to me, that based on the panel comment, if you are operating under the 99 code, a ribbon would not be required for conductors installed by boring. Also note the new wording applies to all underground service conductors, not just service laterals as in the 99 code.
Don(resqcapt19)

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 12-05-2001).]
Posted By: Nick Re: 300-5d - 12/07/01 01:14 AM
The chances of damage from future excavation do not change just because you used a closed rather than open excavation method for the installation.
I agree with this statement more than the panels findings.
© ECN Electrical Forums