ECN Forum
Posted By: Nick Article 408 - 09/22/01 01:01 AM
In the 2002 NEC article 408 (old article 384) added the requirements of UL Std. 67 that only one grounded conductor can be terminated per terminal even if the terminal is identified for more than one conductor.
The other day I made up a new 100A Square D 3ph 4W panel board that had fed through lugs to supply another panel off the same 100A main breaker. The neutral lug supplied to terminate the grounded conductor for the feeders was a single lug rated for two conductors. No other place to terminate the #2 AWG grounded conductors. It seems odd that since this has been a requirement of UL for a long time that Square D would produce something that is in direct violation of this standard. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Article 408 - 09/22/01 07:11 PM
equally odd, if i'm readin' this right, that the NEC should put it's wishes ahead of the UL book instead of referencing to it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bordew Re: Article 408 - 10/30/01 05:21 PM
Nick:
Sq D makes a lug that bolts onto the ground buss bar, but you have to ask for it and its extra.
When I first started i liked Sq-D and ordered a 100 amp service panel and at the time it went for about 60 dollars, and accidently I asked the kid behind the counter is the cover included ? He said, No, thats extra, how can a company survive like that ? I dont know he said, but thats policy.
and this is just another 'trick' of the SqD company. Now you can buy a QO panel and the cover is included, but from what I have seen this is typical.
Posted By: Mike Re: Article 408 - 10/30/01 09:35 PM
Makes me wonder why UL listed the Sq D panel if they don't approve of 2 grounded conductors on the same terminal. Geesh!
[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 10-30-2001).]

Posted By: Mike Re: Article 408 - 10/30/01 10:03 PM
Forget my first post. It's irrelevant after reading Nick's post a second time. Anyway! Why did UL list the Sq D panel if they don't approve of landing two grounded conductors to the same terminal? Where's Karnac when you need an answer? Or is it when you need a question!? Geesh!

Bill, Is there some Halloween mojo going on with this website? Maybe I just need to visit more often so I remember how to post a normal reply. [Linked Image]

Posted By: sparky Re: Article 408 - 10/30/01 11:21 PM
Bordew;
SQ D is a cadillac, but the sale should come with wheels, so they got a big head about themselves....and lo' and behold, we have the Homeboy line.

Nick;
Is the 2002 artilce in Q 408-21 ??

Mike;
stick around, it ain't over 'til it's over
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nick Re: Article 408 - 10/31/01 03:58 PM
Yes, 408-21
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Article 408 - 10/31/01 10:21 PM
Mike,

No Mojo (don't think so, Hmm ...)

BTW,

When you edit a second time just erase the first edit message ([This message has been edited by Mike (edited 10-30-2001).])or any that you see and it will just show 1 instead of multiple.

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums