ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky Overkill - 08/25/01 05:55 PM
I am installing more 200A services than ever, usually for dwellings that will never use the ampacity. I ask why 200 often, offer a demand load calc etc, yet the mentality seems 'bigger is better'. Many homes calc out way under 100, there are no plans for outbuildings etc, and they might probe out bettween 10-20 A occupied .
I just can't seem to interest involved parties into having me do the math....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Overkill - 08/25/01 05:59 PM
The way I judge it: If there's mostly gas appliances (and the demand calcs are in agreement) then I recommend 100A, otherwise I recommend 200.

A 150A service would cost more than a 200A here due to lack of available parts.

But yeah, Load Demand Calcs are pretty useless in residential around here except to decide between 100 or 200 (or 320) amp services.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-25-2001).]
Posted By: Tom Re: Overkill - 08/25/01 08:24 PM
Provided that a customer is not asking you to do something illegal or unsafe, he is always right.

A lot of electricians probably felt exactly the same about installing a 100 amp service when a 60 would easily do the job.

Besides, the homeowner may get p.o'd at the gas company & decide to go total electric. I've seen this happen a couple of times.

Tom
Posted By: amp-man Re: Overkill - 08/25/01 10:15 PM
Sparky,

What I'm seeing is guys asking about 400A panels! They are the McMansion owners, having custom or semi-custom homes built, 3500-6000 SF. Two or three AC units, but gas ovens, space heat, and hot water.

I suggest that 200A is plenty (based on load calcs and anticipated future loads), but I'm afraid it's a case of "panel envy"...one guy at the country club builds a 4500 SF place with a 400A panel, and Lo! everyone wants at least as much.

For instance, one place was 4000 SF and I installed a 400A panel and 55 can lights! Bought a laser plumb bob and laid the can locations out on the floor, used a rolling work platform and a helper to move the platform and the 'bob. Made good $/hr on that one.

Cheers.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Overkill - 08/26/01 12:25 AM
I still install 150s when I feel that's all they will ever need. Small home, gas appliances, central air.
Posted By: electure Re: Overkill - 08/26/01 12:26 AM
Here, the price of a 200 A service works out to less than a 125A!.
Nobody stocks a 125, 150, or 175. The demand isn't there. Bargain Basement on a 200

The only difference is going to be in the price of the mast, SE conductors, and GEC if overhead. UG customers needn't worry, except for the GEC
The suppliers have overrun the market with 200A services. Buy it!

The ultimate for the richey rich folks down here is the Square D 600A, with the breaker section in the bottom. I think that the utility here won't allow more without special engineering, or those 60 Amp max load turkeys would certainly buy a 1000A service to "keep up". [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Overkill - 08/26/01 02:03 AM
The neighbors have a 320A meter base with two 200A panels... A 4000 SF house not including 2 car garage and basement.

As far as I know, 320A is the most AP will give Resi's around here... Tom?
Posted By: Tom Re: Overkill - 08/26/01 05:12 PM
'66,

As far as I can recall (too lazy to walk out to the truck & get AP's specs) AP will supply more than 400 amps single phase, but only for special cases. I'm currently working on an addition to a physical therapists office & the service will max out at 800 amps single phase, using two 320 amp cont. sockets & one drop from the pole.

You know, maybe this oversize service thing could work to our advantage. The old keeping up with the Jones' thing. After we max out on amps, maybe we could step up to a 4160 volt service. [Linked Image]

Tom
Posted By: C.Urch Re: Overkill - 08/27/01 11:41 AM
In my area, Outer Banks of North Carolina, we have many large vacation/rental homes and no municipal gas service so everything is electric (except for propane in rare instances). Any service over 400 AMP we go to C.T.'s in a cabinet and the power company has no problem with this and we require no special engineering for this. The largest I,ve done is a 12,000 sq. ft. home with a 1,200 AMP service.
Posted By: sparky Re: Overkill - 08/28/01 01:14 AM
wow!
what can i say after those posts?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DUBLIN Re: Overkill - 09/23/01 04:17 PM
sparky66wv the major utility around here requires a 320A to supply no greater than 2 150A panels. Anyone out there need a couple dosen 200A Square D Mains?
Posted By: NukiePoo Re: Overkill - 09/23/01 11:42 PM
Here on Eastren Long Island, due to the many "trophy homes", LIPA's (Long Island Power Authority) connection fee schedule for new services is about 200 bucks for a 200A 1/ph service. However, if you install a 400A service using 500MCM instead of parrallel conductors, the fee is no charge. For a parrallel 400, it's 500 dollars. The LIPA engineer told me that this so because they make more revenue off of the larger services and they don't care for foolig around with six conductors up a pole.

These houses have so many appliances and luxury related loads (like Saunas, spas, A/C) that a load calculation will require you to install such services. This year I've installed twice as many 400 Trans-S services than 200A ones. I've only install one 100A service this year so far.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Overkill - 09/24/01 11:35 AM
Originally posted by NukiePoo:
This year I've installed twice as many 400 Trans-S services than 200A ones. I've only install one 100A service this year so far.
Welcome, NukiePoo,

I asked about the trans sockets before. Not every locality uses them. Do you initially just use a plug-in meter? If so,at what point do the CTs get installed?
Posted By: bordew Re: Overkill - 10/30/01 05:14 PM
Sparky,
I agree with you if i could have a buck everytime someone wanted a 200 amp service could retire.
the First question is why do you think you need one, and 99 % of the time is, " Well Iam going to be putting a welder in the garage" I have gotten to the point that I ask now, 200 amp hmmm, do you think that will be big enough, we can go to 400 amp if you feel safer this is all tongue in cheek, but it makes the point.
Generally we do three types of resi services 100, 150 and 200 amp services. like Tom says the customer is always right, but I try not to sell them something they dont need either.
Posted By: sparky Re: Overkill - 10/30/01 11:10 PM
LOL,
well bordew, maybe i'll have to field test that line!
What have i got to loose?
[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums