ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky Correct Connector - 08/14/01 09:46 AM
Can a typical RX connector be installed backwards? For example, the section with the two screws inside the panel or box....are there code and or listing violations that would arise?
Posted By: Redsy Re: Correct Connector - 08/14/01 11:09 AM
I have used them backwards inside WP boxes so I didnt have to drill an unnecessarily large hole in the siding on which I mounted the box. I will continue to do so.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Correct Connector - 08/14/01 12:26 PM
What...you don't use WP connectors with WP boxes?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Correct Connector - 08/14/01 12:38 PM
Redsy,

I like to use a short nipple with ducseal around it that seals when the box is screwed to the siding.

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Correct Connector - 08/14/01 02:02 PM
Wait a minute here...

I don't have to use WP connectors (at $3.50 each)???

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Correct Connector - 08/14/01 03:48 PM
Originally posted by sparky66wv:
What...you don't use WP connectors with WP boxes?

When entering the rear of a wall mounted box, I place the box over the hole and caulk around the box.
Posted By: Tom Re: Correct Connector - 08/14/01 11:01 PM
I can't think of a violation that would cover this. I've done the same thing on occaision. I would say that you now have to make a one wire deduction from the number of conductors allowed in that box.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Correct Connector - 08/14/01 11:08 PM
I don't know what it should be a violation. Many boxes have clamps on the inside. Just deduct the appropriate amount from the box fill.

I do see how it might not be weatherproof.
Posted By: sparky Re: Correct Connector - 08/14/01 11:12 PM
370-16(b)(2)(No allowance shall be required for a clamping mechanism outside the box.)
until it's inside...

thanks Tom [Linked Image]

Redsy;
I do the same..

Virgil;
To your consolation, i do tell customers that there is no such thing as wheatherproof, despite listings, in the northeast.
Kinda like kid proof....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Correct Connector - 08/14/01 11:52 PM
Sparky,

As to your original Question, I would caution to watch for sharp edges at least.

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Correct Connector - 08/15/01 02:43 AM
Man, I've been drilling 1-1/4" holes and putting UF/WP connectors through the wall...

Sort of wondered if it should actually be UF cable too ...I've used UF in the city (just so my perfect record of passing inspections remains untarnished, in case it get argued against me...)

I've also seen holes drilled into the backs of WP boxes to mount rather than the flimsy ears that come with the boxes (and eventually strip out... ) With silicone liberally applied to the screw hole, would this be a kosher practice ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Correct Connector - 08/15/01 02:45 AM
Enough silicone might hold the box without the screws.
Posted By: sparky Re: Correct Connector - 08/15/01 08:59 AM
I've also seen holes drilled into the backs of WP boxes to mount rather than the flimsy ears that come with the boxes (and eventually strip out... ) With silicone liberally applied to the screw hole, would this be a kosher practice ?

Virgil, I do this all the time! I also use a lot of higher-grade silicon. I'm sure it constitutes a listing violation, but the practical application for the surface box's longevity outwieghs this in my mind.

watch for sharp edges
A valid concern Bill.
If i were to introduce 2/3 ser into a panel via backwards connector i suppose that wire bending space enters the pix?
© ECN Electrical Forums