ECN Forum
Posted By: arthur NM B wires in between stud and insulation - 04/09/01 04:07 PM
Hi all,

I have to install outlets in the basement, the studs are 1.5" thick and the insulation is 1.5", the drywall is .5" ,this gives me at least 2" clearance from the concrete wall. If I put the NM B wires in between stud and insulation will this be up to CODE ? I'm thinking that that any 1.25" screw or nail can't reach the wire so this will be OK. I just don't want to remove the insulation and use conduit (?).

Thanks,

Arthur
Posted By: Mike Re: NM B wires in between stud and insulation - 04/09/01 08:28 PM
You can notch the front side of the studs and lay the romex in there and install metal nail plates over the romex. Keep the romex no less than 1 1/4" from the front of the studs for the vertical run(s) of romex to the outlet boxes (running parallel to the studs).
Posted By: Mike Re: NM B wires in between stud and insulation - 04/09/01 08:39 PM
Correction; steel nail plate a minimum of 1/16" thick.
Arthur,

I'm having a hard time picturing what you are talking about. Are these studs 'on the Flat' against the concrete wall? What type of insulation? I'm trying to figure out what you mean by going between the stud and insulation.

the studs are 1.5" thick and the insulation is 1.5", the drywall is .5" ,this gives me at least 2" clearance from the concrete wall. If I put the NM B wires in between stud and insulation will this be up to CODE ?

Bill
Posted By: arthur Re: NM B wires in between stud and insulation - 04/10/01 01:23 PM
The studs and the rigid insulation were already in placed by the builder. Shall I say 'can I put the wires in the gap between the stud and insulation' ? or simply at the side of the stud adjacent to the insulation ?

Thanks,

Arthur

Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
Arthur,

I'm having a hard time picturing what you are talking about. Are these studs 'on the Flat' against the concrete wall? What type of insulation? I'm trying to figure out what you mean by going between the stud and insulation.

Bill
Arthur,

You should be Ok if you can figure some way of securing the cable back there (all the way).

Make sure that you are using boxes of the proper cu. in. capacity.

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums