ECN Forum
Posted By: Zack Adams Aquatic Research Facility - 03/20/01 06:00 PM
I am in the process of reviewing an aquatic research facility at a university. The research involves the use of large (100 gallon up to l0,000 gallon) open topped water tanks. The building is metal shell, with a concrete slab on grade; metal shell and structural steel are grounded. I don't see that there are any specific NEC criteria that deals with this except those requirements related to damp/wet locations.

It seems, however, that the installation has similar hazards to bathrooms, shop areas in unfinished basements, etc. where GFI may be warranted/required.

Is anyone aware of any intepretation or application of the code that I can use in this instance--I would feel much more comfortable if all branch ciruits serving these research areas were on GFI but need code to leverage.

Thanks,
Zack
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Aquatic Research Facility - 03/20/01 08:51 PM
Zack,

I just wanted to say hello and suggest that it sounds like a Building full of swimming pools. My first thought would be to treat it basically like an indoor pool area. Just my opinion. I would also look into any bonding around the tanks that may be warranted. I do not know if it's necessary, but some Marine life may be very sensitive to slight voltage gradients. I don't know if it's related but at Sea World in Florida I remember being surprised at seeing quite large Bonding (I assume) conductors in multiple areas around the Dolphin Feeding/petting Tank.

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums