ECN Forum
Posted By: watersparkfalls 250.148 - 06/24/20 02:43 AM
I have a concrete box without means to connect a screw to it...It was installed in a block wall and the core is filled with concrete. It is for a GFI receptacle, no splices, wires in EMT go directly to the GFI, without claiming it is a Isolated grounding conductor...Is the EMT a good EGC for the metal box?

Thanks in advance,
H2O
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 250.148 - 06/24/20 03:53 AM
A properly made up EMT run is a grounding path. Did they also include a grounding conductor in the bundle coming in? If you really want a connection to the box and the installer wasn't polite enough to put a screw in the tapped hole you should be able to chip a little concrete out next to the box and use a clip. When I set the concrete boxes in my walls I ran a #10 screw a little longer than a typical "green ground screw" and put a dab of duct seal on the outside so I had a good void to install my ground screws.
Posted By: watersparkfalls Re: 250.148 - 06/24/20 12:49 PM
Yes, I have a black/white/green with no way to bond box, other than the EMT right now. If I just feed the GFI with the conductors and have EMT to ground jbox, would that be code compliant or would I need to at the very least use a grounding clip?

Thanks again,
H20
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 250.148 - 06/24/20 07:20 PM
The box would be bonded via the EMT, however the presence of the green conductor would require that to be bonded to the box,

I would follow Greg and do the clip trick.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 250.148 - 06/24/20 11:34 PM
They also make "self grounding" GFCIs with the little brass tab on the yoke and a spring on the screw that I suppose would be legal.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 250.148 - 06/25/20 11:33 AM
Greg:

I had the same thought on the self grounding, but that would be dependent on the device to box mounting.

ie: 4" sq raised cover. Some AHJs may not 'like' that.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 250.148 - 06/25/20 04:46 PM
We are supposed to trust that a properly made up metallic raceway grounds the box so this would be supplemental grounding but I do think the clip might be a better solution if it could be done in a non destructive way. I suppose a more elegant solution would be using a small diamond wheel in a rotary tool to eat out the concrete but most guys are not going to have that in their bag.
© ECN Electrical Forums