ECN Forum
Posted By: Tom_Horne GFCI Dish Washer & Food Disposer - 04/06/18 04:14 PM
I just went through re-inspection because the under sink receptacles for the food waste disposer & Dish Washer did not have GFCI protection. NEC addition being applied is the 2Ø14 one because of when the Building Permit was issued. I realize that having been retired for 2 code cycles I may have missed the change but I have never heard of such a thing. Can anyone help me out with the code reference for this requirement? I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again but this one threw me for a loop. I have been reading the Mike Holt site for the list of changes. Did I miss this one? Any help is appreciated.

--
Tom Horne
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: GFCI Dish Washer & Food Disposer - 04/06/18 06:05 PM
The answer is within 210.8 (D) for the dishwasher.

Now, the disposal is ' opinion' or how one reads.....

" All Receptacles within 6' (six feet) of the outside top edge of the sink" (210.8 (A) (7).

The wording does NOT state in any direction from the edge; so some feel that IF the receptacle is under the sink, within the base cabinet, t is within the zone.

Note that the commentary within the 2014 NEC Handbook (NOT Code) states that receptacles installed for disposals, dishwashers, trash compactors are not required for GFI protection. THIS IS contradictory to 210.8 (D) within the same Handbook as "Code". This was corrected in the '17 Handbook.

Also, some do not "see" 210.8 (B) that is "Other then dwelling units" regarding kitchen outlet GFI protection.

© ECN Electrical Forums