ECN Forum
Posted By: Jkhayward Nec circuit protection - 11/22/17 02:05 AM
Hello. Im building an electrical panel that has the following drives, 1) 200 hp drive, 1) 100 hp drive, 1) 60 hp drive, 2) 15 hp drives. The customer doesn’t have the power on his bus to handle this load. The customer is going to place a indivual disconnect for the 3 larger drives. These 3 disconnects are in 1 panel and it will be attached to the side of the panel I’m currently building. I was asked to just put the large drives and lugs for the input and output and connect the drives to “just” lugs. No other circuit protection will be supplied by us. I believe that there are several code violations in building this. I am not familiar enough with nec to show the owner why this isn’t to code. Please help. Thanks
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Nec circuit protection - 11/22/17 04:01 AM
You can pretty much start in article 240 and everything you read will say conductors have to be protected at their ampacity.
If you are just using this panel as a junction box with no over current protection, all conductors down stream will have to be sized to the last over current device serving that feeder.
I think I would leave skid marks in the driveway getting away from this job unless they are willing to do it right and provide proper power to this load.
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Nec circuit protection - 11/22/17 08:22 PM
Article 430 covers OCP ect for motors.
Page 70-323 Figure 430.1 Well tell you where to look.
Posted By: Jkhayward Re: Nec circuit protection - 12/18/17 02:56 PM
That’s for all the help. I left the company, I unit I wire was correct. The 2nd unit all I did was install the drives to the sudpanel, nothing was wired. I’m concerned about plant personal safety but at this stage there’s little I can do.
© ECN Electrical Forums