ECN Forum
Posted By: Yooperup Green House wiring - 07/19/17 08:04 PM
Green House wireing methods. Wet Area I'd say yes.
I;ve been told PVC not a good choice?/
Anyone out there can share info?/
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Green House wiring - 07/20/17 12:09 AM
Yoop:

Wet area, yes

IF ambient temp is over 50 C, (122f) then PVC is non-compliant.
Support and subject to physical damage? Sch 80 solves the physical damage.

Can the ambient exceed 122f in MI? On a hot sunny day, inside a glass box??

The few (2) that I have in my Twp are:
One at High School, PVC, 32" AFF to 6 GFI outlets. Fans (2), power roof vent (4) and lighting is IMC, per design professionals spec, and that saved me a plan review rejection letter. Temp last week reached 142f before the maintenance guys turned on the fan circuit and vent circuit that they shut off by mistake. Bless them.

The other is at a wholesale garden supply, it's all RGC, been there a long time. A few 120 GFIs were added in PVC, routed on the exterior wall and LBd in.

Hope this may help.

Greenhouses may be in Gregs domain?

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Green House wiring - 07/20/17 04:39 AM
Not a lot of greenhouses here. A screen cage might be as close as you get. For those EMT seems to be better than PVC, just because of the expansion and drooping problem. The install is usually bend up the pipe, paint it to match and install it. Cosmetics may not be an issue if this is a commercial greenhouse. The issue might be direct water spray from irrigation.
RMC might be better but the cost will be prohibitive for most customers
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Green House wiring - 07/20/17 01:10 PM
I'd use EMT and raintight compression fittings.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Green House wiring - 09/02/17 12:47 AM
I inspected a school greenhouse that had a 480 /277 service with a 45 KVA transformer to a 120/208 panel inside the greenhouse. They had to build a room for it and I made them tint the glass to cut down the ambient Temps. seemed kinda strange to be installing tint and extra ventilation in the corner room of a greenhouse, but it worked.
© ECN Electrical Forums