ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync weatherproof fan box - 06/28/17 02:55 AM
I've got a customer who wants a fan wired under a deck. The box will need to be weatherproof because of the water that would come off the deck above. Any ideas where I might find a weatherproof fan rated box? I've searched the net, but only found a few that might work. Found Arlington makes one, but you have to buy in bulk. Also the customer does not want a switch for it. She says they will control it by the chain. Is there any code that does not allow this since it's not in a "habitable" room? Thanks
Posted By: gfretwell Re: weatherproof fan box - 06/28/17 04:29 AM
I am not sure there is a fan that is reliable in a wet location (water coming down from the top) There are some damp location ones that will deal with sideways rain. At my wife's place hey had to make a 4x4 "roof" over the fans in the pergolas to keep the rain off or they would not make it through a rainy season. At that point a "damp" box should work.
Posted By: sparkync Re: weatherproof fan box - 06/28/17 06:18 PM
Still looking for the weatherproof fan box. Found a "Red Dot" one for around $22.00 not counting shipping,. It is only approved for 35lbs. I would have to advise the customer to make sure the fan they get is suitable for wet/damp locations and is not over 35lbs. , but how about the switch requirements. Can it be operated only by the chain?
Thanks
Posted By: gfretwell Re: weatherproof fan box - 06/29/17 03:50 AM
The other option on the fan box is to independently support the fan from framing members.

422.18 Support of Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fans.
Ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be supported independently
of an outlet box or by listed outlet box or outlet
box systems identified for the lise and installed in accordance
with 314.27(C).

I asked my wife what the electrician did in her pergolas and she said he used 4" #10 S/S screws drilled through a round Bell box, plywood cover and into the framing members above the fan to support the hickey. The inspector was good with it.
Posted By: sparkync Re: weatherproof fan box - 06/29/17 12:03 PM
ok, that sounds like a plan, but now another question. Since the customer doesn't want a switch for the fan, and to be controlled only by the chain, looks like it would need GFCI protection, since they would be in contact with the fan and the ground at the same time when they pull the chain. This job was supposed to be a simple job frown
Posted By: gfretwell Re: weatherproof fan box - 06/29/17 04:18 PM
I agree it is a good safety suggestion but you will have trouble finding a code requirement for a GFCI unless this is plugged into a 15-20a 120v receptacle. Adding a piece of non-conductive material from the chain to the pull would mitigate that a lot.
Posted By: sparkync Re: weatherproof fan box - 06/29/17 04:35 PM
I agree, but I think in this situation I'm going to go more than the code. Human error can be scary sometimes. Old saying, " better safe than sorry" smile
Posted By: gfretwell Re: weatherproof fan box - 06/30/17 12:35 AM
My guess is you will only be a cycle or two ahead of the code. It won't be long before every circuit in a dwelling will be either GFCI or AFCI (with 30ma GF protection)
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: weatherproof fan box - 07/06/17 03:26 PM
Although NOT within the NEC, as Greg said; I would strongly advise the circuit to be GFI protected.

Fend off the lawyers ahead of time, or walk away from it.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: weatherproof fan box - 09/02/17 12:42 AM
As far as the switch question : Yes the use of the pull chain is legal.

© ECN Electrical Forums