ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync Kitchen AFCIs - 02/12/16 12:13 AM
Could someone refresh my memory on the use of AFCIs in the kitchen? GFCIs are still required around the counter, but code says that kitchens require AFCI's too. How's this accomplished? A combination device?
Thanks..
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Kitchen AFCIs - 02/12/16 01:40 AM
Personally, I'd either use an AFCI breaker with a GFCI device downstream, or an AFCI device feeding a GFCI device.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Kitchen AFCIs - 02/12/16 06:34 AM
Cuttler Hammer does sell a GFCI/AFCI combo breaker but I agree with Reno. Trouble shooting is easier if you have a GFCI device at the counter top.
I really had to look this one up because we are still on the 11 here and that is a 14 requirement. I was thinking the kitchen was exempt. Silly me.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Kitchen AFCIs - 02/14/16 05:54 PM
Just something to make you guys laugh....

Final on a resi addition, panel had 3-GFI CBs, no AFCI CBs.
H/O said.."I know he put them in, I paid extra".

Went to kitchen.....wow, the elusive AFCI devices!! And, they were not on the GFI CBs!!

BTW, this job was not DIY, it has a EC!!

Posted By: sparky Re: Kitchen AFCIs - 02/17/16 05:52 AM
Rumour is 210.12's requirements will be all 120V circuitry in the '17 , and 210.8's 'readily accessible GFCI' is making DP (dual purpose) breakers much more appealing, considering the 'gfci under the sink for the pig/dish' debate.....

Myself, a DP 50A spa disco setup ahead of an MLO panel kitchen subpanel may be a consideration .....

~S~

© ECN Electrical Forums