ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync main diconnect question - 05/26/15 05:39 PM
I have a customer that has an existing 3 phase service on a building that is going to be torn down. The only thing it is feeding that needs to stay is a 20 amp. 240 circuit that feeds a propane tank for campers etc. What we are thinking to do is set a weather proof panel beside the meter after the building is torn down and use the appropriate mounting. Think panel will have the 20 amp double pole in it and also a50 amp DP Circuit for a 240 volt outlet and a single pole breaker for a 120 volt outlet. My question is : I'll have total of 3 breakers. The smallest 3 phase 200 amp. WP Panel I can get is 18 circuit. I think this amount breakers would qualify for a main lug panel, but there are spaces for more. What would be your thoughts? Thanks
Posted By: gfretwell Re: main diconnect question - 05/26/15 09:15 PM
I am not sure how the utility bills there but it might be cheaper in the long run to have them convert this to a regular single phase. The equipment will certainly be cheaper and I bet the service charges on the bill will be too.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: main diconnect question - 05/27/15 03:00 PM
A structure that is being demo'd requires all utilities to be disconnected and letters from each utility stating the disconnects have been done.

You would be better off IMHO installing a 'temp' service, single phase for the loads that are to remain.

Posted By: sparkync Re: main diconnect question - 05/29/15 03:05 PM
I was thinking the temporary service also, but the service will be supplying a propane tank and it already has 2 seal offs on the line in rigid pipe, and I'm not sure of the clearance from the tanks that I need for the service ( hadn't had time to dig in the code). If I leave the service where it is, the seal offs are already in place and all I would have to do is to divert it from the existing inside panel to an outside panel. I'm in process of seeing if the power company will change it to a single phase which will be a whole lot cheaper in labor and material etc.. Thanks for input
Don't guess anyone knows if clearances is an issue with the service? I'm not to much into hazardous wiring etc., but I can dig into the code to find out..
© ECN Electrical Forums