ECN Forum
Posted By: triple fluorescent disconnects - 01/15/15 01:05 AM
Why are lighting disconnects only required on fluorescent fixtures with double-ended tubes? There are other types of fluorescents as well as LED's that have ballasts/drives that will need servicing throughout their lifespan. If shutting off the light switch leaves the room in complete darkness, most will service these fixtures hot even without a disconnect. How can this be considered acceptable? What does a "double-ended lamp" have to do with anything?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: fluorescent disconnects - 01/15/15 08:05 AM
It is an interesting question. Maybe a proposal is in order if you can make the case.
I think the low fruit on the original proposal was office buildings with long rows of tubes that typically get serviced while they are powered on.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: fluorescent disconnects - 01/15/15 03:39 PM
Over many years of 'maintenance' calls, I have to fess up that I replaced many ballasts 'hot'. Not much choice, most of the time.

Cut & cap the 'hot'; cut & cap the 'neutral'; cut the rest.

Yes, the disconnect is a nice requirement for safety.

If I remember correctly, some of the fixtures were wired thru the sockets, requiring a lamp 'in place' to make the feed to the ballast.

Posted By: electure Re: fluorescent disconnects - 01/16/15 04:42 AM
Originally Posted by HotLine1

If I remember correctly, some of the fixtures were wired thru the sockets, requiring a lamp 'in place' to make the feed to the ballast.

I think you're talking about the F96, F72, and F60-T12 fixtures.

The bulbs had single pins that connected 2 contacts in the unsprung lampholders. The other end of the bulb had a spring in the lampholder.

The contacts were connected between the lines and the ballast.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: fluorescent disconnects - 01/16/15 05:52 PM
That's it. Now it all comes back!

The removal of the lamps served the same purpose as the pull apart disconnect, IF the fixture was wired properly.

Posted By: geoff in UK Re: fluorescent disconnects - 01/17/15 09:00 PM
Perhaps the thing about double ended types is that the pins on one end of the tube can be inserted whilst the free end can be touched. Indeed there is a temptation to touch the free end pins to check the horizontal alignment to ease fitting the first end.
Posted By: Tesla Re: fluorescent disconnects - 01/25/15 06:56 AM
Isn't that (ballast) scheme effectively banned by Congress?

I haven't seen those in years and years.

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: fluorescent disconnects - 01/25/15 09:18 PM
Tesla:
Could very well be! Although 'banned', there are still plenty in service.

'Remaining old stock', which is allowed to be sold/installed may also be available in some areas.

Geoff:
Yes, I remember using the bi-pins to orient the lamp to the socket.

Posted By: ghost307 Re: fluorescent disconnects - 01/26/15 08:03 PM
I don't use the pins to check the alignment, but there are a couple of flattened spots where the metal end meets that glass that face straight down (or up) when the tube is rotated to the correct position that I use all the time.
© ECN Electrical Forums