ECN Forum
Hi all,

This is a great forum I'm glad to have joined up!

I have a few quick questions, I'm installing 2 led exit signs in an apartment building.

1) Must I put these on a dedicated circuit, or can I take power from a lighting circuit

2) If I do need a dedicated circuit, can it come from any sub-panel

3) Is the local building department supposed to determine 1 & 2 above?

Thanks for all/any input!
Egress lighting (exit & emerg. ltg) are to be connected to the local lighting circuit serving the area, ahead of all switches.

In plain words, the corrodor and/or stairwell lighting circuit.

Your local area may have other requirements, based on the classification of the structure. It's best to check with your local AHJ, Building, Electrical and/or Fire.
Some Califonia counties are demanding high and low exit signs... for the same door.

This second, additional, exit sign has to be X inches above the floor. (I forgot the figure -- but its around ankle height.)

Look for it in the newer movie theaters.

The reason: smoke rises -- and experience has shown that the public can't read the (typical) exit signs as they are so high they are obscured by smoke.

I don't know if this logic has been expanded to multi-family residences. I don't work that end of the street.

If wiring up exit signs is a nightmare -- remember that exit signs powered by tritium are available out of Canada. They stay 'on' for ten-years -- without any wiring at all.

They're not as cheap as conventional exit signs -- but they can be slapped up at will.

Call your distributor for details.

I have heard that logic too. If you are following protocol and staying low trying to get out of a room, that sign over the door may be obscured.
Now that LED tape is getting cheap, some day we may see chase lights in the floor, leading to the exits, activated by the fire alarm.
My wife has asked me if I could do that in my father in law's driveway, activated by the GDO light circuit.
Per Commercial, Industrial, Multi-Family Dwellings and Hospital Projects, the City of LA has required the "Low" Exit Signs, in addition to the standard over-the-egress-door Signage, since apx. 1993.

LADBS allows Self-Illuminated (Tritium) Signage for the lower Exit Signs.

IIRC, the lower Signs are mounted +24" AFF to Center.

BTW; out here (So. Ca.), the Trade Slang term for Self-Illuminated Exit Signage is "Nuclear Exit Signs"

--Scott (EE)
Thanks so much, this answers my all my questions.
© ECN Electrical Forums