ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync AFCI on sump pump?? - 07/20/13 03:44 AM
A sump pump is being installed in a finished basement where the water heater, wash machine, and dryer will be located. Will this have to be on a AFCI breaker?? It will be bad if the breaker trips because of "nuisance" tripping while they are on vacation, and the water heater or water pipes break:(
Of course this could possibly happen in any scenario, but what does the code say?? thanks...
Posted By: gfretwell Re: AFCI on sump pump?? - 07/20/13 06:27 AM
I would leave an area or room around the sump pump "unfinished" but it would still need a GFCI.
In my house, it would be a regular circuit and "come and get me copper"
Posted By: sparkync Re: AFCI on sump pump?? - 07/20/13 05:06 PM
Greg, even if is a single recpt. so that nothing else can be plugged in, it's required to be GFCI?? Thanks
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: AFCI on sump pump?? - 07/20/13 05:17 PM
There is no exception regarding a single receptacle,

A GF trip is not 'good' for an active sump pump, but the possibility of a shock hazard has priority.
Posted By: sparkync Re: AFCI on sump pump?? - 07/20/13 05:23 PM
another question related to this same job. When a ceiling is dropped in a full basement, do the joist still have to be bored out for the wires? Sorry not up to digging in the code this morning, hitting on about 4 out of 8 cylinders:)
Thanks on the reply about the GFI. I didn't see it in time...
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: AFCI on sump pump?? - 07/20/13 05:49 PM
sparkync:

From the '11 NEC:
"(C) Cables Through Spaces Behind Panels Designed to
Allow Access. Cables or raceway-type wiring methods, installed behind panels designed to allow access, shall be
supported according to their applicable articles. '

That said, there is nothing within Art 334 that says you have to drill.

However, your local AHJ may have another opinion. The "physical damage" can be subjective.
Posted By: sparkync Re: AFCI on sump pump?? - 07/20/13 06:28 PM
thanks John, I don't think (in my opinion) that it is going to subject to physical damage above ceiling tile... That's in my opinion smile hope the AHJ has the same opinion
© ECN Electrical Forums