ECN Forum
Posted By: wewire2 Grounding Electrode Conductor Question - 02/09/13 01:46 AM
250.66 (A) "Where the grounding electrode conductor is connected to rod, pipe, or plate electrodes as permitted in 250.52 (A)(5) or (A)(7),that portion of the conductor that is the sole connection to the grounding electrode shall not be required to be larger than 6 AWG copper wire or 4 AWG aluminum wire." Could that be interpreted as the #6 can be the only conductor attached to the ground rod in order to qualify downsizing the conductor? The sizing rules for jumpering to other ground sources are clear but let's say there's a cable TV ground or secondary electrode conductor terminated on the same rod from a meter added to the same service. Could that be interpreted as infringing on the "sole connection" since there is more than one connection at the rod? I think no but just checking.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Grounding Electrode Conductor Question - 02/09/13 07:39 AM
I think no too. The cable co and telco connection is not a GEC.
If I am understanding this question, there is the ruling for the inter-system bonding terminal which allows the telco and CATV people to hook into the electric GEC. They use to just clamp to the #6 cu going to the ground rod.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Grounding Electrode Conductor Question - 02/10/13 05:36 PM
In 2011 250.94(2) got more specific

(2) Consist of a set of terminals with the capacity for connection
of not less than three intersystem bonding conductors.
Posted By: sparky Re: Grounding Electrode Conductor Question - 02/11/13 02:54 PM
Pre-intersystem bonding block (bar? , term strip?) saw a lotta wierd ph & ca GEC 'means of attachment' to GEC's

Most of the ahj's i know weren't particularly bothered by it all, mostly a 'ah, geez, those ph guys again' sort of 'tude....

~S~
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Grounding Electrode Conductor Question - 02/11/13 05:54 PM
You are lucky if any of the trunk slammers we call "techs" make the connection to the service grounding electrode system at all. Satellite guys seem to be the worst. They drive that 3' rod attach a #10 to the dish and call it done.
I ended up just starting over on mine with a real rod and a fat wire to the GES.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Grounding Electrode Conductor Question - 02/11/13 07:33 PM
Over the years there have been a lot of tele/cctv/etc bonds & grounds that were interesting, funny & excersizes of the imagination. The worst were the pipe clapms on PVC and SEU.

Multiple rods? What do you mean they have to be 'bonded' together? Why do I need a 'full size' rod?? That perforated metal strap & 1/4-20 bolt are tight around the meter pan!! The list can go on....
Posted By: sparky Re: Grounding Electrode Conductor Question - 02/12/13 12:31 AM
yeah, one can really tell some fundamental theory isn't understood all that well out there

one thing i've seen the poco have conniptions over are these clamps that go on the corner of a meter face (the cover over the glass meter itself)

they are little clamps about 1"x1" , manufactured specifically for clamping to a meter face

it amazes me that one utility would actually incorporate a specific widget the other sees as a complete intrusion

i just dunno, maybe they should do lunch?

~S~

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Grounding Electrode Conductor Question - 02/12/13 02:18 AM
PSE&G here in NJ really gets very upset with anything attached to their metering equipment. There's some gizmo that attaches to the meter pan that really had them rocking.

I'll look for a pic in my files.
A lot of guys around here would tie their ground to the hub on top of the meter pan. They would use those copper ground straps.
© ECN Electrical Forums