ECN Forum
Posted By: harold endean suspended ceiling - 11/12/12 10:51 PM
I am back on line,and I already have a question. Any restrictions about putting a receptacle above a suspended ceiling? Is it allowed or not?
Posted By: Tom Re: suspended ceiling - 11/12/12 11:27 PM
No problem putting in a receptacle above the dropped ceiling. These receptacles can be used for servicing equipment located above the ceiling. You cannot, however, plug in a flexible cord for a piece of equipment that is located above the ceiling and leave it plugged in. A wireless router would be an example.
Posted By: harold endean Re: suspended ceiling - 11/19/12 02:10 PM
So a receptacle is OK just don't leave anything plugged into it.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: suspended ceiling - 11/19/12 08:20 PM
Pretty much...I always have problems with the HVAC folks who want to put a plug-in condensate pump above the ceiling tiles and whine that it should be okay because "it's just a tiny little load". I usually tell them that the only guarantee that comes with that statement is that it will "only start a tiny little fire".
Posted By: gfretwell Re: suspended ceiling - 11/20/12 12:46 AM
How do you let them put that pump up there?

Posted By: renosteinke Re: suspended ceiling - 11/20/12 01:03 AM
Fire load, smoke load .... Humbug!

IMO, the HVAC condensate pump is a perfect example of where the NEC is simply wrong. Call it extremist, draconian, or misguided.

I disagree with the entire assumption that there can NEVER be a legitimate use of a cord above a suspended ceiling.

Oh, just hard-wire. Yea, right ... even if it were possible to replace the cordset with an MC whip, there'd be howls about 'voiding the listing.'

The HVAC needs a condensate pump. The HVAC is above the ceiling. Is this a back-door attempt to move ban the HVAC from the ceiling void?

An aside ...

Now that Ideal has a funky screwdriver for use on those multi-head screws we see so often, I fully expect some code genius to insist that you can ONLY use the funky driver on the funky heads.

That's where you wind up when you micro-manage.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: suspended ceiling - 11/20/12 06:03 AM
I've seen a couple places where the FAU/condensate pump was placed above the electrical room which was hard lid (and the only thing hard lid), thus not above the suspended ceiling.

I know the receptacle itself is not a code violation in itself, but I've always been reluctant to install one above T-bar mostly because I know SOMEONE (alarm guy, HVAC, tenant, etc..) will end up using it for things not allowed.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: suspended ceiling - 11/20/12 08:23 PM
Those small condensate pumps are readily available with a whip, but many of the HVAC guys are reluctant to use the right ones the first time around.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: suspended ceiling - 11/21/12 12:29 AM
If you can get them with the MC whip, case closed. I just had never seen one.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: suspended ceiling - 11/21/12 04:57 AM
That may be a Chicago thing, I have not seen any up here either. I'll ask around next week.

I remember someone saying that there are AHs with a factory single recept installed for a condensate pump; that would solve the problem IMHO.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: suspended ceiling - 11/21/12 06:12 AM
I thought it was a 400.8(5) "cord" problem?

I spent too much time in buildings that never saw an inspector after the first "final" to think much about it.
Most offices have dozens of various cables and cords above the ceiling.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: suspended ceiling - 11/21/12 03:14 PM
Greg:
I agree with you, there are many technical sins hiding above the drop ceilings, most of which are 'unseen' for various reasons. Recent office fit out had 12-15 4" w/raised cover duplex receptacles; nice install. I asked why & for what? Foreman said 'tenants electronics, & a few projectors'.

Removed a few, relocated the rest to face down thru the tiles. I think if I go back after CO, it will be back the way it was on ceiling inspection!

Posted By: gfretwell Re: suspended ceiling - 11/22/12 02:12 AM
Because I lived in the office environment for 30 years I have always had mixed emotions about receptacles above raised ceilings. Since enforcement is so spotty, cords and cables up there are always going to happen so the question is whether you want a 3-6'line cord to a real receptacle and a chapter 3 wiring method or an orange cord, maybe penetrating a rated wall into a place where they can hide the drop down to a wall receptacle.

I have seen some real nice enclosures for projectors that have the receptacles and A/V connectors in the box, effectively not above the ceiling but they are not the rule.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: suspended ceiling - 11/22/12 03:11 AM
Greg:
Did you look in my office? Orange cord? Computer equipment, power strip, orange cord hiding in some varitey of plastic imitation wiremold stuff.

Posted By: Lostazhell Re: suspended ceiling - 11/22/12 06:54 AM
Would our AHJ's allow something like this above a T-bar ceiling? It IS armored, but would you still consider this a cord?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: suspended ceiling - 11/22/12 09:31 AM
I would want to examine how that FMC was terminated in the cap but it is an interesting piece of "git r done".
If this was a factory assembled, listed 348.20(A)(2)(b), I would tip my hat and look at something else.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: suspended ceiling - 11/24/12 05:27 AM
Using HVAC as an example,
You'd think there would be a permanently live supply inside the HVAC unit itself that a condensate pump could run off?
Our ones over here specifically have terminals in them for that purpose.
Posted By: harold endean Re: suspended ceiling - 11/24/12 05:49 PM
John,

I have never seen a condensate with hard wiring yet. Maybe that will become a thing of the future around here.
Posted By: richard Re: suspended ceiling - 11/28/12 08:26 PM
Our company wires ac's a lot, and the comp doing the install orders the hard wired pumps when they are called for, just a matter of ordering the right stuff smile
© ECN Electrical Forums