ECN Forum
Posted By: schenimann "within sight of" - 10/12/12 04:30 AM
Does "within sight of" mean from the disconnect itself or as I am standing in front of it?

I am wiring a hot tub. There is a 8 foot pad for it. 3-4 feet away is the wall for an addition that is going on the house. The wall is about 12 foot long and symmetrical to the pad. So my disconnect has to go around the corner enough to get the 5 foot rule. However once I round the corner, technically you cannot see the disconnect from the tub. I will be able to see the tub while standing in front of the disconnect but not actually able to see the disconnect from the tub(well maybe a spot of gray paint). Is this enough?

I just don't want to get into a technical discussion with the ahj after the underground is in.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: "within sight of" - 10/12/12 08:10 AM
Ask him.

There should be some logic involved. The intent is that nobody will walk up and turn on the breaker while you are working there without you seeing him.
Best if they distract you enough to see them coming by tripping over you but it is really in the eye of the inspector whether it is safe.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: "within sight of" - 10/12/12 02:45 PM
IMHO, based on your details, I would not have an issue with this location. LOTO, or using the hasp with a lock will insure access to the disco while a 'qualified' person is working. That is as long as that person has LOTO, or a padlock.

Posted By: Yoopersup Re: "within sight of" - 10/12/12 04:07 PM
See Definitions in NEC
IN Sight.
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: "within sight of" - 10/12/12 05:17 PM
680.12 is what you must comply with. No exceptions.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: "within sight of" - 10/12/12 05:51 PM
I'd suggest that it's time to have that 'technical discussion with the AHJ' before you run the pipe.

For all we know the guy might decide he wants the disco within the 5ft .... or he may be a 'letter of the law' type and you'll wind up setting a pole-mounted disconnect in the middle of the yard.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: "within sight of" - 10/12/12 05:56 PM
Perhaps I am not getting the true picture of this but the "spot of gray paint" seems to imply you can see the side of the enclosure, just not the switch handle. If a person standing in front of this switch was in full view, I would say it was within sight. Another issue might be, can you approach this from the other side? (someone walk up and flip the switch without seeing you working or you seeing them).
If you are buried in the tub enclosure working on something, nothing is actually within sight.
The only 99% safe way is LOTO but you still have the 1% idiot out there so nothing is 100%
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: "within sight of" - 10/13/12 12:10 AM
picked this up off Mike Holts Site:
Q8. What are the disconnect requirements for outdoor spas or hot tubs?

A8. A maintenance disconnecting means is required for an outdoor spa or hot tub. The maintenance disconnecting means must be readily accessible and located within sight from the spa or hot tub [680.12], but not less than 5 ft horizontally from the inside walls of the spa or hot tub unless separated by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier [680.22(C)].
In other than a single-family dwelling, a clearly labeled emergency spa or hot tub water recirculation and jet system shutoff must be supplied. The emergency shutoff must be readily accessible to the users and located not less than 5 ft away, but adjacent to and within sight of the spa or hot tub. [680.41]. Either the maintenance disconnecting means required by 680.12 or a pushbutton that controls a relay located in accordance with this section can be used to meet the emergency shutoff requirement.
The purpose of the emergency shutoff is to protect users. Deaths and injuries have occurred in less than 3 ft of water because individuals became stuck to the water intake opening.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: "within sight of" - 10/13/12 01:31 AM
Scheimann:

Renos suggestion to speak to the AHJ is a really good place for you to start.

I based my opinion on your info. But, the old addage of 'opinions are like xxxxx, everyone has one'!! I have other AHJs locally whose opinions differ from mine.

Posted By: harold endean Re: "within sight of" - 10/15/12 01:18 PM
How about this one. The disco for the hot tub is right next to you,(within 5 feet) but behind a door. Now you can't help but see the door open and in front of the disco, and you can't shut the disco off without closing the door. Plus you can't get to the disco unless you pass the person working on the hot tub. Is that in "Sight of" the disco.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: "within sight of" - 10/15/12 04:35 PM
A pair of thoughts on the topic...

First off, the excerpt from Holt is nice- but misleading. It confuses the maintenance disconnect with the emergency stop. The 'emergency stop' switch is not required for residential tubs, and is a completely separate issue.

Here's a thought: What about having the maintenance disconnect within the equipment compartment of the tub itself?

Of course, the issue may be academic; I've observed many tubs where a simple HVAC disconnect is used - the type with a pull-out tab that the technician can easily put in his pocket. Hard to beat that for LOTO.
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: "within sight of" - 10/16/12 01:16 AM
In other than a single-family dwelling, a clearly labeled emergency spa or hot tub water recirculation and jet system shutoff must be supplied.
I thought it was pointed out very clearly????
Posted By: renosteinke Re: "within sight of" - 10/16/12 05:21 PM
Yesterday the Mars Rover found a rock.

What's the above comment have to do with this thread? Nothing at all.

Emergency disconnect? Just as relevant to this thread as the Mars Rover. The OP clearly states this is a house. Period. End Stop. We have no interest in discussing the emergency disco.

Nope. What we want to discuss is how the maintenance guy can work on the thing, and still meet code.

Code language does not seem to address the equipment compartment of the tub itself. No, you measure from the tub to the switch, etc. I can't see how having the disco inside the equipment compartment creates any hazard that's not already posed by the pumps, etc. in that compartment. I'm really beginning to like that approach: put the disc 'under the hatch.'

Heck, if you measure around the open hatch, you might get the magic '5 ft.' distance.

Disco has to be visible from the equipment being serviced - not to a bather in the tub.

Disco has to be accessible - not 'readily' accessible ... so it's OK if you need to remove a panel.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: "within sight of" - 10/16/12 06:19 PM
Micromanaging situations like this in the code is why it is almost 900 pages long and growing.

The AHJ, by definition has the "authority" to look at a unique situation and make a decision. The code will never be able to address every situation. My old boss summed it up best when he said "Just be sure it is safe".

My decision, based on the original question, would be, Can a person stand in front of that disconnect and turn it on without being seen by and seeing the guy working on the tub.
I think he implies that you can see the enclosure, just not the switch handle.

I suppose you could frame the question another way. If you had a post mounted disconnect in the middle of the deck with no obstructions at all but facing the other way, would that be within sight?
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: "within sight of" - 10/16/12 06:39 PM
And a Nice Rock it was!!!
680.12 Clearly States 2008 NEC SHALL be located at LEAST 5 ft horizontally fr0m inside walls.UNLESS separated by open water or Permanently installed Barrier ect.
Disconnect cannot per code be inside compartment.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: "within sight of" - 10/16/12 08:34 PM
I wondered about that myself and one way I could see it is if the cover was 2.5' wide and hinged up. Then the "shortest path required to reach the disconnect." might be 5'.

I have not seen that many listed tubs but I wonder if they do have an internal disconnect. Of course if they are cord and plug connected, that is the disconnect.
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: "within sight of" - 10/16/12 09:41 PM
Most Tubs I've seen come with internal Disconnect Switch.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: "within sight of" - 10/17/12 05:15 PM
Ahh, but there you have it, Youper ... the pumps and equipment are under the tub, so any disconnect is an infinite distance from the inside walls, measured horizontally.

You could go 'horizontally' all the ay around the world and never reach that disconnect; 5ft is apiece of cake!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: "within sight of" - 10/17/12 09:44 PM
Gentlemen:
Please go back to Renos post on page 1, and my comment on page 1, before we go down a wayward path....
© ECN Electrical Forums