ECN Forum
Posted By: Bravo elevator recall for parking garage - 06/01/10 05:08 PM
doing renovations for a 6 level parging garage tha has an existing elevator with no elevator recall system. Is the elevator required to be recalled to the first level? The lobby's are open air and above grade. Currently the elevator does not smoke detectors in the lobby. I am currently replacing the fire alarm system with a non-addressable fire alarm system.

thanks in advance
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: elevator recall for parking garage - 06/02/10 04:01 AM
IMHO, these are questions for the local AHJ. Probably the Fire Official. Here in NJ the Fire Subcode Official would make the call as to what you have to do.

Posted By: sparkyinak Re: elevator recall for parking garage - 06/04/10 04:54 AM
I agree with John. It's a JHA/FM call. My money is on although you are replacing the FA system, a recall system is elevator mechanical so it may not be required to be upgraded unless the elevator equipment is being replaced as well. I know some elevator systems can be retrofitted with a recall system but not necessary all elevator systems. Modifying elevator equipment in the field is not as easy in the field as one may seem. Lots of liability involved and strict rules.
Posted By: Tesla Re: elevator recall for parking garage - 06/05/10 12:33 AM
In California all aspects revolving around elevators are handled by State of California inspectors.

The FM and elevator inspector sign off on plan check with complete latitude to change their minds if safety issues become obvious to them as matters proceed.

I once installed a F/A upgrade in a 1927 building...

Modifications/upgrades were demanded right up until the end.
© ECN Electrical Forums