ECN Forum
Posted By: harold endean sec 300.9 - 05/19/10 12:30 PM
In section 300.9 the NEC states that you have to use wire suitable for wet/damp locations when used in a raceway or enclosure above grade.
OK in one of the latest trade magazines, the author of a column stated that you can't use NM to feed an outside light or outside weatherproof receptacle.

I guess my question would be, is that really the intent of the code? I mean is the inside of an old work box inside the wall cavity really a damp/wet location?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: sec 300.9 - 05/19/10 01:34 PM
Harold:

Greg & you can debate this till you know what freezes over.

IMHO, no issues with NMC to the box for an exterior outlet/device.

Posted By: Jim M Re: sec 300.9 - 05/19/10 02:19 PM
Harold, I addressed this with CT, and he is going to publish a clarification.
Posted By: harold endean Re: sec 300.9 - 05/19/10 05:31 PM
John,

The EC who questioned me with this one, called Suzanne and she feels the way that I do. If you see wires hanging outside and getting wet, then you can fail for NM getting wet. However if they keep the NM inside of the building and only installing it in the box, then I don't believe the area would be considered damp/wet location.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: sec 300.9 - 05/22/10 01:53 PM
One of the thingd I 'love' about new code editions is all the little surprises that seem to get implemented without anyone being aware of them .... until the new code comes out, and the 'seminar riders' suddenly start off on a new crusade.

In the 08 cycle, this ban on NM in 'damp' locations was one such surprise. Romex in the crawl space? Violation! Romex through the wall into the back of an outdoor weather-tight box? Violation.

Hell, I had one clown assert that ordinary switches, place conventionally in a bathroom, were a violation, as was NM in the walls, because condensation made the area 'damp.'

I'm just as sore at the NM makers. There is absolutely no reason for conventional NM to not be rated / listed / approved for the wettest applications - even under water. Just my opinion - but I suspect that they either haven't even tried, or that there was a management decision to avoid the application.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: sec 300.9 - 05/23/10 07:25 PM
They could fix the water problem with NM by removing the kraft paper but I assume there is a business reason not to. It certainly isn't a technical reason. My bet ... UF costs about the same to manufacture but they can sell it for more.
Posted By: harold endean Re: sec 300.9 - 05/24/10 01:30 PM
Greg,

Actually I think I found out one reason where 300.9 might apply, where the EC runs NM out of the house and sleeves the NM in a flex tubing then into a HVAC disconnect.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: sec 300.9 - 05/24/10 02:48 PM
Yes, Harold; what you describe above technically does not fly!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: sec 300.9 - 05/24/10 06:58 PM
When I had this conversation at Fl IAEI the consensus was if the exterior box was inside the wall it was OK to use the NM, it got a little more questionable if it was a surface mounted pancake but if there was any raceway involved NM was a tag.
The real gray area was a surface mounted bell box served from the back, but again the answer was usually no. It got into questions about if the back of the box was caulked into the wall and how the box was served.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: sec 300.9 - 05/24/10 11:30 PM
Greg:
Thanks! That's the debate I remember.
Posted By: harold endean Re: sec 300.9 - 05/26/10 01:52 PM
So if you guys walk around to an HVAC disco and see 3 feet of sealtight (NM flex) going into the sealtight and see a piece of NM running through the sealtight it would get a red sticker? I am not judging yeah or nay, I am just asking.

How about a piece of sealtight (NM Flex) that is say 7-10' long with NM inside?
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: sec 300.9 - 05/31/10 07:41 PM
Greg, you hit it right on the head. A crawspace, inside the bathroom and exterior walls are considered normally dry areas. If moisture is getting into these areas then you have a bigger issue.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: sec 300.9 - 06/01/10 12:45 AM
Harold:
I hope we are on the same page, chapter & verse.

Any raceway 'outside' is considered a wet location. NM cannot be used in a wet location. NM in sealtite, non-metalic or metalic, smurf, PVC, RGC, EMT, etc that is outside receives a red tag. No distances/dimensions.
© ECN Electrical Forums