ECN Forum
Posted By: wewire2 Refrigeration equipment and GFI - 04/05/10 09:16 PM
The owner of an assisted living complex installed a large
walk-in refrigeration unit outside. He is afraid that the required exterior GFI will trip and cause the food to spoil. Would it be OK to install a disconnect instead of the receptacle to get around the exterior GFI requirement?
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Refrigeration equipment and GFI - 04/05/10 09:34 PM
I don't Belive Walk in cooler Feeds Require GFI.
Posted By: George Little Re: Refrigeration equipment and GFI - 04/05/10 09:46 PM
I agree Ernie, but there's a chance that a service receptacle might be needed and if so, that would need GFCI protection. He said that it was a refrigerator so he might not need heat tapes on the doors or drain lines like he might if it were a Freezer.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Refrigeration equipment and GFI - 04/06/10 01:32 AM
Just out of curiousity, how 'large' a walk-in box could this unit be? 20 amp, 120 volt? Plug-in compressor and condenser?

I can't recall seeing a WI box that was cord & plug connected.

Posted By: Trumpy Re: Refrigeration equipment and GFI - 04/06/10 09:54 AM
If a thing like this is so large (and possibly never likely to be moved), why does it have to have a plug-socket arrangement on it at all?
What I am tending to think is that it could be permanently wired into it's supply source with a disconnect in an accessible position.
Posted By: wewire2 Re: Refrigeration equipment and GFI - 04/06/10 07:05 PM
Yo! I'm back.
The unit is about 7'by 6' with the compressor package on the
roof. It does have a cord. Considering your great input, I think I've decided to just hardwire it and put it on a non-GFI circuit. Thanks!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Refrigeration equipment and GFI - 04/07/10 01:35 AM
And I'm still curious!!
Posted By: Tesla Re: Refrigeration equipment and GFI - 04/09/10 12:23 AM
Is this in Placerville?
Posted By: wewire2 Re: Refrigeration equipment and GFI - 04/10/10 07:18 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding.
Hotline1, I'll post a photo of the unit this week. Tesla, nope it's not located in Placerville. Should start the job
on Monday. Thanks!
© ECN Electrical Forums