ECN Forum
Posted By: KJay Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/08/09 11:49 PM
I felt this was an interesting topic from another forum so thought I would bring it up here since there are several inspectors, both past and present that frequent this site.

In a habitable room of a dwelling unit, where the wall switch controlled lighting outlet required in 210.70[A],1 has a ceiling fan mounted on it, would you consider the light kit on the ceiling fan as meeting the definition of a luminaire in Art.100?
If not, would you then also require either an additional wall switch controlled lighting outlet with a luminaire attached to it or a wall switch controlled receptacle in the room as allowed in exception 1?
What made this extra interesting is that when I was thumbing through the UL White Book, I noticed that ceiling fans and their light kits are listed under different heading than luminaires.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/09/09 02:02 AM
Kjay:
A light kit on a ceiling fan is acceptable for 210.70(a). IMHO, I don't think that the headings in the UL White Book have any significance.

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/09/09 02:12 AM
A light in a room is a light in a room .... I don't care if that light has a fan above it or a cat sleeping under it!
Posted By: KJay Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/09/09 04:02 AM
I tend to agree, but what caught my attention is that ceiling fan support is outlined in 422.18, but luminaires are covered in 410.
So, now if a fan is indeed considered an appliance in the NEC, even with a light kit, would it be allowed to be installed on the required wall switched lighting outlet in 210.70[A],1 that is intended for direct connection to a luminaire? [Without getting into the whole fan rated box thing, etc...] smile

Below is some related info:

Lighting outlet Art.100: An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder or luminaire.

Luminaire Art.100: A complete lighting unit consisting of a light source such as a lamp or lamps, together with the parts designed to position the light source and connect it to the power supply. It may also include parts to protect the light source or the ballast or to distribute the light. A lampholder itself is not a luminaire.

Luminaires, Lamp Holders and Lamps: 410

Support of Ceiling Suspended [Paddle] fans: 422.18

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/09/09 04:17 AM
Keep in mind that a 'lighting outlet' can be as simple as a switched wall receptacle, in most rooms of the house. What's to keep somone from plugging a heater into it?
Posted By: leland Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/09/09 04:49 AM
What does support have to do with it?

the fan with a light kit has an independent conductor for each item.
so there fore I feel it (the light) would meet the requirement.

Also as stated above,a switched rec. with no lamp meets the requirement as well.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/09/09 08:19 PM
I was watching an argument that split the IAEI as to whether a blanked off plate in the ceiling connected to a switch was a "lighting outlet". Everyone agreed it didn't matter if there was a "half hot" on a switch in there somewhere but the question arose about if the lighting outlet was only the blanked off plate in the ceiling.
The argument "for" went along the lines that the new homeowner wanted to buy their own luminaire and the builder didn't what to install something that would be in the trash immediately. I voted with the side that said "put a $2 keyless up there". I think the intent is that an unqualified person can get a light on in there.

... and a light kit in a fan is a light IMHO.

A fan that takes a kit but the kit is not present at the time is not a light.
Posted By: George Little Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/09/09 10:06 PM
A light in a room is a light in a room .... I don't care if that light has a fan above it or a cat sleeping under it!

No way Reno- Cats not allowed. :))

As for a fan/light combo- What's the big deal they do it all the time in bathrooms.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 12:30 AM
Leland:
Have you not seen a paddle fan installed to an outlet box that only has a hot & neutral present? The pull chains supplied with the fan are used to turn the fan (or light) on-off.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 12:51 AM
If there is no "wall switch" connected to that fan/light outlet it doesn't count for 210.70(A)(1)

"At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet..."

Posted By: leland Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Leland:
Have you not seen a paddle fan installed to an outlet box that only has a hot & neutral present? The pull chains supplied with the fan are used to turn the fan (or light) on-off.

Sure I have. I've even installed them smile.

If that is the case,a switched rec should be installed,Or a 3 wire.

I'm also with Greg,if a ceiling lighting outlet, Keyless before sign off.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 01:35 AM
Keep in mind that the 'switch' need not be on the wall, by the door.

For example, many outdoor lights have motion sensors.

In our paddle fan example, many of those have wireless remotes.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 01:36 AM
Le:
OK, I left out something important:

I omited that the two wire lighting outlet has a wall switch.

Maybe it's a Jersey thing, but it goes like this...
Wall switch 'on', fan & light 'on'; want light 'off', but fan 'on'? pull the pull chain. Drawback is when someone turns both off at the P/C.
Posted By: leland Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Keep in mind that the 'switch' need not be on the wall, by the door.

For example, many outdoor lights have motion sensors.

In our paddle fan example, many of those have wireless remotes.

I'll give ya the 'by the door '. so I guess that rules out the 2 wire constant for a pull only fan as a lighting requirement.

Reno: I see nothing accepting wireless remotes. Only OC's.

Hot line: thats the same, back to Greg. Install a keyless.
Or no sign off.

Not our problem after that.
Posted By: KJay Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 03:59 AM
Originally Posted by George Little

As for a fan/light combo- What's the big deal they do it all the time in bathrooms.

I don’t know, but this topic relates to an actual installation that an inspector failed.
Since I can’t get inside the inspectors head, I am trying to figure out the reason why the he would fail this installation.
I have been looking though the various articles of the NEC attempting to find a code based reason for it. I have done the same fan/light installation countless times and never had any issue because of it, but also want to make sure I’m not missing something
Posted By: KJay Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by leland
Sure I have. I've even installed them smile.

If that is the case,a switched rec should be installed,Or a 3 wire.

I'm also with Greg,if a ceiling lighting outlet, Keyless before sign off.

Lee, I’m not sure if it’s the same in your area, but we can’t get a final and the HO can’t get a Certificate of Occupancy [CO] by installing a keyless anymore, since they are considered a lampholder and not a luminaire. Unfortunately, they say lampholder right on the package. bash

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 07:37 AM
You could always put a receptacle up there wink

Actually I was thinking that would not be a bad idea if you could get some kind of standardized base and matching plug/hanger device in the luminaires. It might actually spur sales of more luminaires if any homeowner could just stick them up there and lock them in.
Posted By: KJay Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 08:14 AM
I suppose, but how do you do that with an octagonal or 4" NM round nail-on that has already been installed at rough?
When I put a box in the ceiling in anticipation of a light fixture to be installed, I don’t want to have to play games to try and get my final signed off.
I tend to believe that the anal retentive, tantrum taking obsessive-compulsive disorder BS has breached the dam when it comes to not allowing a functioning keyless for the purpose of completing a final inspection. Especially since the circuit most likely also has the NEC coveted AFCI protection.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 08:55 AM
One of these?

[Linked Image from dale-electric.com]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 09:07 AM
Actually if you started with the single receptacle cover (Mulberry 11106, no pic on the Dale site) and had some 8-32 or 10-32 studs (depending on the box) that my universal luminaire hickey would snap into you have my invention.

Line up the studs, the 5-15 lines up and you push until it locks. Done.
No more standing on a ladder juggling a 20 lb luminaire while you are trying to screw on some wirenuts and start some chinese knurled acorn nuts that don't fit right.

I wish I could say patent pending but I am too lazy.
Posted By: KJay Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 08:54 PM
Hmmm... I never even thought of those. Usually the only time I see those covers is during a service call or demo job in an older building.
I’m wondering though, since that is technically a flush cover mounted device… would the two screw requirement for devices in surface mount covers still apply?

Do they also make a flush device cover like that for round NM ceiling boxes?

I’m just imagining the look of perplexed disbelief on the inspectors face when he sees the TR duplex in the middle of the ceiling.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/10/09 09:01 PM
"perplexed disbelief on the inspectors"

Now you're tempting me, KJ ... laugh

I believe the two screw requirement does apply. I've seen those covers in 4/0 size, which will mount on a round plastic box. It won'nt be pretty, but it does the job.

For an earlier poster, I don't think the NEC uses the term 'lampholder' any more, except for something that is directly mounted on the end of a cord (temporary lighting festoons). They're all 'luminaires,' even the keyless ones.
Posted By: KJay Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/11/09 12:49 AM

I think the lampholder verses luminaire issue may be more of a local building code issue than NEC.
As I recall, possibly something about lampholders being okay for inhabitable areas like attics, basements, garages and crawl spaces, but not so much for habitable areas.
This may possibly have been due to home buyers purchasing the "builder homes" during the housing boom, equipped with all the cheapest crap the local home centers had to offer, such as vanities and cabinets, etc... and having the venerable keyless installed everywhere a light fixture was required just to get the final electrical and CO signed off, then having them remain in place for years after the sale.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/11/09 01:55 AM
The funny thing is if I screw a "globe" lamp in an Edison socket it is a designer luminaire but if I screw in a regular A-19 it is sub standard lamp holder.

As far as 210.70 and article 100 is concerned they are all lighting outlets.
Posted By: leland Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/11/09 03:09 AM
KJ- never had an issue. They just need a light fixture.
Too lazy to type luminaire,unless an official doc.
With the lack of above mentioned LIGHT, A switched rec has always been enough.So now why would you need a designer 'Fixture'?

I have had many sign offs with keyless, of course meeting requirements for closets and such.

I know your south, but are you south of either bridge?

I would definitely get a reference.That just aint right.
Snob rules perhaps. I bought in my town for the 1 acre rule (no lots under 1 acre are build able).
Now they want to change it (smaller). !!???!!! I gotta move again!!!!?

Greg, you nailed it! Spend $40 for the bulb and $100 for the (keyless) thats great.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/11/09 03:14 PM
The irony is, there have been several og my jobs where all that was present were 'keyless' fixtures - and it has never been an issue.

I often instal a keyless during construction, as a source of light for the painters, etc. Heck, sometimes I have them up before the rock is hung! Apart from the convenience of having a light, it is an easy way for me to 'proof test; my wiring - especially when there are multiple switches.
Posted By: Jim M Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/11/09 04:25 PM
I seem to remember part of that discussion as being would a blank plate meet the intent. The reasoning was the "lighting outlet" had been installed which satified the code. The code did not specify that the luminaire be installed. Seems like splitting hairs and going contrary to the ever elusive "intent", but don't really see much difference than the switched receptacle installed without a lamp which would satify the requirement.

Maybe the design manual needs a rewrite to clarify? wink
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/11/09 06:01 PM
Jim:
From the '08 NEC & Handbook:
410.22 Outlet Boxes to Be Covered.
In a completed installation, each outlet box shall be provided with a cover unless covered by means of a luminaire canopy, lampholder, receptacle, or similar device.

I have seen many resi jobs with blank covers on lighting outlets, WHEN there are multiple lighting outlets within a room/area. Reasoning varies from 'availability of fixture', to 'homeowner to supply', to 'ran out of $$$', etc. This ranges from normal modest SFD's, to McMansions & townhouses/condos.

For a CO, there must be an operational means of illumination, be it one keyless, one 'el-cheapo', or the proverbial half switched receptacle outlet. No, there does not have to be a lamp plugged in, just a switch control.

I agree, the NEC does not mandate a luminaire be installed in black & white words, and I also believe the 'intent' is to provide illumination for the safety of the occupants. The 'meat' of having a minimum of one operational luminaire is contained within our CO requirements.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/11/09 06:22 PM
Jim I always took the stand that an unqualified person had to be able to get a light on in that room for it to satisfy the intent of 210.70.
Any homeowner can plug in a lamp or screw in a bulb but it takes a bit more skill to actually hang and wire a luminaire.
I suppose in some places you might even need a permit if the strictest interpretation of the code was followed.

Others say the definition of lighting outlet just says "An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder or luminaire." and the luminaire does not to be present.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/11/09 07:28 PM
I think we're confusing bodes, and forgetting just who is in charge.

It is the AHJ who approves the NEC, not the other way around.

Nor does the NEC say a think about the CofO. That is strictly an AHJ issue, and often requires that multiple AHJ's sign off on it. Exactly what "ready for occupanecy' is going to vary according to each AHJ involved.

As an example of AHJ discretion, I can see a single family, new home having the owner later supply the fixtures ... while such an expectation would be unreasonable for a rooming house or a restaurant.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/11/09 09:08 PM
Reno:
Yes, multiple (All) AHJ's must sign-off for a CO to be issued, and NO that is not an NEC item.

That said, I as the Electrical Subcode Official (AHJ) have to 'sign-off' for CO Approval. That is usually accomplished upon Final Inspection and approval. Now, IMHO 'Final' means that all work is completed, and there should be some means of illumination in each and every required area. As I said above, a half switched receptacle is compliant, without anything being plugged-in. However, a room/area that has a blanked off ceiling or wall lighting outlet does not fly.

It is very rare to have this type scenario occur in the field. In the instances were it has, a keyless, 'el-cheapo', or a paddle fan with light kit showed up fairly quick.

As to Gregs comment about a permit for the installation of 'missing' fixtures...I'm still laughing. Our UCC classifies that under 'repair' for which no permit is required.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/12/09 02:52 AM
The reason I mentioned it is there are several places where the code references "replacements" and I assume some AHJs might want a permit to enforce the rule. In Florida most AHJs want a permit to replace a water heater and that is clearly a repair. In the latest code you not only need a permit to replace an HVAC condenser, you also need to do an energy calculation. I am not sure what happens if your house is not properly insulated but that seems to be the way they are heading.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Lighting outlets and luminaires. - 11/12/09 03:43 AM
Greg:
Our UCC regs refer to replacement of certain minor items as 'repair' & 'no permit'
Luminaires "Like for like" is no permit, if wiring is not modified/moved/relocated.
My reasoning for saying LOL is I have not seen a HO or EC ever come for a permit in to install the 'missing' luminaires/paddle fans.

Water heaters, furnaces, HVAC replacements require permits. The HVAC compressor requires a Lic. EC, an Electric water heater requires a Lic EC, furnaces/boilers are 'permit by basically anyone'. To add to the paper trail, replacement furnaces, boilers, water heaters require electric, plumbing, and Fire permits. HVAC comp requires elec. and plumb for condensate drain/pump if req.

© ECN Electrical Forums