ECN Forum
Posted By: GA76JW Electric Hand Dryers - 07/09/09 01:46 AM
Can anyone point me in the right direction with the 2008 code? We are installing Hand dryers in the bathrooms at work and I can't seem to find anything in the code pertaining to this specifically.

Is there anything in there I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/09/09 02:20 AM
That's an interesting issue.

Most of those dryers are 240v .... which begs the question: to GFI or not?
Posted By: GA76JW Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/09/09 02:28 AM
My main question comes with the branch circuit aspect of it. My foreman has told us to drop a 12/2 MC cable down to it and this just doesn't feel right, but I still don't see anything relating to it in the code. I've been scanning and looking for the past 1/2 hour or so.

To GFI or not is a good question too. As well as distance from the edge of a sink maybe?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/09/09 03:17 AM
12/2 simply isn't enough. Look at the nameplate; I think you'll find you need at least #10, and you'll want to have that red wire as well as a neutral. After all, some of the new ones have motion sensors, etc in them - so they might need that neutral.

I don't think the NEC specifically addresses the issue; the usual ampacity rules apply.

Since you're using MC, you really want to get it right the first time.

ALSO .. pay special attention to mounting height. Some folks place them so thay can do double duty as hair dryers.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/09/09 04:19 AM
I've never encountered these dryers with heat that didn't have a 20A rating on the name plate, but then the only ones that I've worked with have been 120 volts. That being said, a 30 amp circuit would be required using #10.

The "turbo jet" ones that just use high-velocity air are different and a 20 amp circuit will suffice.

GFCI protection? Not that I can tell.
Posted By: sabrown Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/09/09 03:34 PM
I have not come across any that were beyond 20 amp. I also specify a permanent breaker lock to keep the area clean.
Posted By: GA76JW Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/09/09 11:04 PM
well right now we are just roughing in the area, so we don't have the actual equipment to reference with. This is the first time I have roughed in a bathroom with hand dryers.

I do want to ask why you think we might need the 10-3 wire though?
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/09/09 11:18 PM
I've installed or worked on lots of these. I've never seen one that had GFCI protecton nor installed one that way. I can't think of any rule that would require that unless there's a local ordinance. I'm assuming these will be hardwired and not plug connected.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/09/09 11:43 PM
I went through my wife's catalogs from her shopping expedition into this area and the dryers seem to range from 1500 to 2300 watts for the conventional ones and 1100 watts for the new "high velocity" green dryers.
If you are going to have 240v dryers I see no reason why 14-2 would not work but 12-2 is the safe bet.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/09/09 11:47 PM
GA:
A quick heads up on this....
Is your facility subject to ADA (American Disability Act) commonly called 'handicapped'. If it is, watch the mounting heights.

Posted By: electure Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/09/09 11:49 PM
Without a cut sheet or installation instructions to work with, even roughing in the hand dryers is going to be 'iffy'.

The knockout might be anywhere on the baseplate of the unit. If tile is used as the dryer's mounting surface the problem's will be compounded for sure.
It would be good to ask the supplier of the hand dryer to know the manufacture and model # of the unit. They're website's bound to have the information you need.

If it has to be ADA compliant, then the fan's air outlet must generally be between 38" and 48" above the finished floor.
You may want to check local codes

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/10/09 12:23 AM
You just center the KO over the hole where the wire comes out and say "that's where it goes" wink

Just be sure they are all the same height.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/10/09 12:29 AM
The recomended height range seems to be
32" for kids
36" for handicapped
42" for women's rooms
44" for men's rooms
to the bottom of the dryer.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/10/09 01:35 AM
Here's probably the most common unit out there. With a nameplate draw of 20 amps, I'd say this guy needs #10 and a 25 amp circuit:

http://www.supplyhero.com/World-Dryer-A-Surface-Mount-Hand-Dryer-115v-White.1694.51046.3.htm

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/10/09 01:44 AM
Click on the 'data sheet' for these units, and you'll see they suggest GFCI protection in 'wet locations:'
http://www.ameraproducts.com/store/p/990-A-Series-Cast-Iron-Automatic-Hand-Dryers.aspx

I admit to being puzzled by the warning not to connect to a circuit greater than 20 amps. This seems to fly in the face of the "80% rule"
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/10/09 01:57 AM
If you use the NEC definition, a bathroom wall is not a wet location. I think this is just "lawyer" speak to give them one more bullet in their gun if they end up in court.
I too am confused with the idea that a 2300w appliance will be OK on a 20a circuit. (125% is 23.95a)
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/10/09 02:44 PM
The "80% rule" is for continuous 3 hour loads. It doesn't come into play with electric dryers, although I think it should be considered in airports and places where the thing may be running almost continuously with the flow of users.
Posted By: electure Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/10/09 03:21 PM
I agree with ghost.

There's nothing in either 422.10 or 422.62 that requires the hand dryer to have either 125% conductors or a 125% overcurrent, except for continuous loads over 3 hrs.

In fact, the installation instructions seem to prohibit this.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/10/09 04:50 PM
You are right. I got caught up in that 125% thing without remembering that was C&P.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/11/09 02:43 AM
With all the energy codes coming into play now days you will be seeing fewer and fewer hand driers with heaters in them. Using ones with motion sensors and just forced air operate more efficiently. This helps in the overall energy rating of the building.
Verify the mounting height with the local inspector that enforces ada.
Read the literature as to GFCI protection.
I am waiting on an EC to give me the literature for some hand driers in a school. They want me to require GFCI protection and said it's in the paperwork. (They want the extra $$ as there is about 25 or so in the building) I told them I need to read the literature first. I should have that one Monday.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/11/09 04:29 AM
This is all a trade off thing. People say paper towels have a pretty big carbon footprint and reusables are worse when you add all the environmental costs.
I guess some day they will just have the sign, "wipe your hands on your pants"
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 07/13/09 02:31 PM
...or they'll reduce the carbon footprint even more by not providing fresh water for the sink.

Save the planet...Stay dirty??
shocked
Posted By: JohnDryer Re: Electric Hand Dryers - 04/01/11 07:25 AM
Good one...

i didnot know about these heights before now.

thank you.
© ECN Electrical Forums