ECN Forum
Posted By: luckyshadow HID - High Bay Lights - 02/27/08 02:32 AM
High Bay Luminaires that are HID -
I know that it is allowable to wire these using a receptacle provided it is directly above the fixture and the cord is exposed outside of the fixture.
BUT...
I am being told that these HID High bays MUST be wired using the receptacle method. We are no longer allowed to just hang the fixture from the 4 square box using a swivel plate and wiring directly into the fixture.

Is this correct? I was looking through the code but thought one of you smart fellows would know off hand and save me the search. ( yeah I'm being a bit lazy)
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: HID - High Bay Lights - 02/27/08 02:48 AM
I been doing both way cord attachment or hardwired with 4x4 box with swivel joint cover and i don't have any issue with my inspectors with this but it kinda changing trend to go with cord/ repectale trend now anyways.

but just becarefull when you used the cord to attached to the luminaire it highlighted in the code [ i will check it depending on you are on 05 or 08 code cycle ]

Merci, Marc
Posted By: walrus Re: HID - High Bay Lights - 02/27/08 11:46 AM
isn't it 2008 code?? 410.130 G 3, disconnecting means location
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: HID - High Bay Lights - 02/27/08 08:06 PM
In the 2005 and the 2008 - I read 410-130(G)(3) as pertaining to Fluorescent lights that use double ended lamps.

I didn't see anything about this issue when it comes to HID
High bay lights.
Posted By: mikethebull Re: HID - High Bay Lights - 05/04/08 02:03 PM
It says " either external or internal " so either way is legal depends on specs for that particular job or AHJ if AHJ has no objections then what do the specs want although most retail stores are switching over to T8 or T5 flourescents.
© ECN Electrical Forums