ECN Forum
Posted By: john p AFCI Combination type - 01/08/08 12:30 PM
I was wondering if any of you are having a hard time finding the combination type afci that are requierd as of jan 1, 2008 per 210.12B nec2005 tha box stores dont have them here and the inspectors are not going to let the ones they have be OKed.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: AFCI Combination type - 01/08/08 06:29 PM
Bryan Holland (City of North port) has an interesting survey about this on the IAEI Florida BB. He called all the local distributors and they all said they don't stock the combo AFCI. There is also some confusion about what the "combo" really means. Some manufacturers think it is AFCI/GFCI in one device, others share the NFPA definition (branch plus cord protection)

http://www.iaeifl.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4616#Post4616

Posted By: bb Re: AFCI Combination type - 01/09/08 12:37 AM
I found SquareD combo AFCI's in Menard's on 12/31/07. I thought maybe I saw some Siemens combo's as well. After all the problems that people are having with availability, I was very surprised to see about 30-40 combo breakers in stock.
Posted By: leland Re: AFCI Combination type - 01/09/08 01:15 AM
----tha box stores dont have them here and the inspectors are not going to let the ones they have be OKed. --

Why should they? This is good for us. Show a license, get the item. Fine with me!

--called all the local distributors and they all said they don't stock the combo AFCI. There is also some confusion about what the "combo" really means. Some manufacturers think it is AFCI/GFCI in one device, others share the NFPA definition (branch plus cord protection)--

another dilema.Who's selling? who's buying? who's inspecting?

--I found SquareD combo AFCI's in Menard's on 12/31/07. I thought maybe I saw some Siemens combo's as well. After all the problems that people are having with availability, I was very surprised to see about 30-40 combo breakers in stock. ---

Were they (sq D) "homeline" or "QO"? found any 2-poles?

Posted By: leland Re: AFCI Combination type - 01/09/08 01:18 AM
------tha box stores dont have them here and the inspectors are not going to let the ones they have be OKed. --

Does this go for the "tamper resistant" rec. aswell?

The box store items meet the requirement.
But I'm still waiting on opinions of the shutterd cover plates.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: AFCI Combination type - 01/09/08 01:28 AM
AFAIK my area still currently extemt[ removed ] AFCI requirement but still have plain jane AFCI on the big box store. i will check it more later when the next time i stop in few days then i will know for sure.

Merci, Marc

[ yeah we are still on 05 code for now ]

as far for TP repectales i havent see it yet not in big box store yet but some electrical supply centre do stock this but this will become common item later.
Posted By: leland Re: AFCI Combination type - 01/09/08 01:52 AM
TR's here, big box store. Idividualy wrapped and about $5.99 (us) each.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: AFCI Combination type - 01/09/08 02:46 AM
Home Cheapo down on the parkway has the TRs, $6 a pop and will probably last 5 months, not spec grade devices at my locations. mad

Haven't looked at AFCIS, going to have to soon though, this place gets remodeled this/next year...

Ian A.
Posted By: bb Re: AFCI Combination type - 01/09/08 10:28 AM
Leland,
SquareD combo's were in Homeline and QO, but no two poles.
Posted By: sabrown Re: AFCI Combination type - 01/09/08 03:13 PM
As far as combo AFCI's it is real easy for me as Square D (whom I specify most of the time) has them on paper at least, even if they may be hard to come by. It would be nice if they also had the combination combo AFCI/GFCI.

Shane
© ECN Electrical Forums