ECN Forum
Posted By: Last Leg Fire Pumps - 10/03/07 02:21 PM
EMT conduits were previously ran through a Parking Garage. We are bidding on a project at the receiving end. 150HP Pump, 1200 Amp Service Fused Disconnect, RHW wire. REF: 695.6(B)3 - does this apply? This was suggested in the meeting with the GC. I usually avoid a Service disconnect and/or have routed 'outside the building', so haven't used this method. How or where do I confirm (Iknow - AHJ, getting my ducks..)that this is a "listed" electrical circuit protective system, with a minimum 1 hour rating? I've read EMT is not rated, as it is not combustible and read the RHW rating, but can't put my finger on the exactness. Any help?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Fire Pumps - 10/03/07 03:16 PM
I had a fire pump with conductors run about 30' into the building. We got by this by putting the raceway down in the corner between floor and wall, building a 2x8 form and pouring it solid with concrete.
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Fire Pumps - 10/03/07 03:55 PM
Check out www.drakausa.com/lifeline Their RHH wire is listed for two hours in EMT.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Fire Pumps - 10/03/07 06:59 PM
Just a thought...
The RHH was $$$$$$ on a job that the EC thought would solve the dilemma.
They wound up saw cutting the floor, and going under the slab
Posted By: mikesh Re: Fire Pumps - 10/05/07 05:01 PM
I think that a fire pump must be fed with 2 hour rated conductors. In EMT there is a special conductor that can give a 2 hr rating otherwise I think you need several inches of concrete encasement or other 2 hour fire rated enclosure.
Posted By: allphase Re: Fire Pumps - 10/05/07 05:06 PM
RRH is a lot of $$$$ but it will pass the 2 hour rate in emt.

Have fun pulling it its thick . We over size the emt.

Larry
Posted By: Last Leg Re: Fire Pumps - 10/05/07 09:55 PM
Thanks for the input... just turned in the bid. Wish I had checked 'have fun pulling it.. it's thick' first. Pipe is oversized a bit though - 3- 250's and grnd in a 3". I did up the labor a bit, not knowing.
Thanks all.
© ECN Electrical Forums