ECN Forum
Posted By: windmiller Marking conductors - 08/05/07 01:10 AM
Hi,
What article is it that covers the minimum size wire that can be phased or taped with a different color. Like a black to white.
I am sure this has been covered but I cant find it in a search.

Thanks for your help.

Windmiller
Posted By: Tom Re: Marking conductors - 08/05/07 12:54 PM
For marking of grounded conductors see 200.6 A through E

For marking of equipment grounds, see 250.119 A through C
Posted By: windmiller Re: Marking conductors - 08/05/07 06:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. These articles cover grounded condcutors, aren't there some that cover ungrounded conductors?

Thanks

Windmiller
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Marking conductors - 08/05/07 09:11 PM
There are no rules that cover the method of identifying ungrounded conductors.
Don
Posted By: windmiller Re: Marking conductors - 08/05/07 10:11 PM
Don,
Thanks for the reply. I was told at one time by someone on the forum (I thought) that you could not re-identify conductors smaller than number 8 awg. Am i thinking of something else perhaps?

I see a lot of #12 wire that has the neutral in a blk-r-bl- cable that has the bl re-identified as a neutral. And some where the bk-r-bl is changed to brn-or-yl on a #12 awg.

I guess it is only a neutral that cant be re-identified if it is smaller than a #6 unless it meets the exceptions?

Thanks

Windmiller
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Marking conductors - 08/05/07 11:55 PM
windmiller,
I see a lot of #12 wire that has the neutral in a blk-r-bl- cable that has the bl re-identified as a neutral.

That may be a violation of 200.6(E).
Don
Posted By: windmiller Re: Marking conductors - 08/06/07 12:32 AM
Don,
Thanks. Let me rephrase that, I am not sure I explained it right and I am not sure I understand 200.6 (e).

We use tons of MC cable. Given a 4/C 12, that has "bk-r-bl-gn" in in it where used as a 120 V circuit will have the "BL" marked as a Neutral with Scotch 35 White phase tape.

Is this a violation?

Are you saying that it is permissable to re-identify a conductor smaller than a #8 of any color to white?

I was thinking that anything smaller than a #8 could not be re-identified at all. Say you have a black #12, can you reidentify it to a neutral?

Sorry for the confusion.

thanks

Windmiller
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Marking conductors - 08/06/07 11:08 PM
Windmiller,
(E) Grounded Conductors of Multiconductor Cables The insulated grounded conductors in a multiconductor cable shall be identified by a continuous white or gray outer finish or by three continuous white stripes on other than green insulation along its entire length. Multiconductor flat cable 4 AWG or larger shall be permitted to employ an external ridge on the grounded conductor.
Exception No. 1: Where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation, grounded conductors in multiconductor cables shall be permitted to be permanently identified at their terminations at the time of installation by a distinctive white marking or other equally effective means.

Unless you can meet the requirements of the exception, you cannot re-identify a conductor of a multiconductor cable as a grounded conductor no matter what the size is.
Posted By: windmiller Re: Marking conductors - 08/07/07 01:17 AM
Don,
Ok I see now. Thanks

Windmiller
Posted By: George Little Re: Marking conductors - 08/12/07 06:42 PM
Don- When I read 210.5(C) I get the impression that we have some direction on identifying the ungrounded conductors and I wonder if inspectors will allow for instance 2 systems (240/120 & 480/277) to have the same color ungrounded conductors and only change the color of the grounded conductors.
Posted By: George Little Re: Marking conductors - 08/12/07 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by resqcapt19
There are no rules that cover the method of identifying ungrounded conductors.
Don

Don- Look at 210.5(C) and we do have direction on identifying ungrounded conductors and I wonder if inspectors will allow two systems to have the same color ungrounded conductors and only change the color of the grounded conductors?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Marking conductors - 08/13/07 12:09 AM
George,
Yes, if you have multiple systems, you have to identify the conductors by system, but the code does not specify how they are identified. If you choose to use black, red, blue for one system and black, red, blue with a tape mark you are in compliance with the code. The method is left totally up to the installer and the inspector has no say in it. The only other requirement is that the method of identification used be posted at every panel. Using the same color for ungrounded conductors or both systems without any other marking would be a violation. Note that under the 2005 code the required identification is only by system and not by phase so you could use all black for one system and all red for the other system. This will be corrected in the 2008 code.
Posted By: George Little Re: Marking conductors - 08/13/07 02:42 AM
I agree 100% with your comment Don, and as an inspector that's going to be my call. So in an existing building an installation of a second system, if it's a different voltage from an existing system or if we are installing 2 systems in a new building the rule applies.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Marking conductors - 08/13/07 04:27 AM
Originally Posted by windmiller
Don,
Thanks. Let me rephrase that, I am not sure I explained it right and I am not sure I understand 200.6 (e).

We use tons of MC cable. Given a 4/C 12, that has "bk-r-bl-gn" in in it where used as a 120 V circuit will have the "BL" marked as a Neutral with Scotch 35 White phase tape.

Is this a violation?

Windmiller

I note that they make 4/C MC with two neutrals specifically for this purpose. Typically they have one conductor pair that is black and white, and the other pair is red and white with a red stripe. This eliminates any need for wanting to mark a second neutral in a 4/C cable. (Except, of course, for the situation where you don't have any of that kind a cable handy...)
© ECN Electrical Forums