ECN Forum
Posted By: Niko meter main as sub - 03/30/07 01:49 AM
Hi folks,
I will be installing a new meter main and am using the existing meter main as a sub panel. Besides the obvious separate the grounding bar from the neutral bar, install a new GEC from the new panel, can the existing meter location be covered with a clear cover? Or the existing metermain be replaced with a regular subpanel?
Does the NEC address this or it a local AHJ decision?

Thank you
Edward
Posted By: Niko Re: meter main as sub - 03/30/07 01:54 AM
Either you reach a higher point today, or you exercise your strenght in order to be able to climb higher tomorrow.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: meter main as sub - 03/31/07 03:36 PM
Neutral (grounded conductor) will be bonded in the old meter socket. As an inspector I would not allow it.
Alan--
Posted By: gfretwell Re: meter main as sub - 03/31/07 04:00 PM
I assume he is saying he will bypass or remove the meter connections and only use the disconnect with the cabinet as a J box. If he can isolate the bonding that should not be an issue but I still would question the suitability of the cover with nothing but that plastic "snap in" over the meter hole. They tend to fall apart pretty fast in the sun. If you screwed a metal cover over the hole I would not be too concerned.
Posted By: Niko Re: meter main as sub - 03/31/07 07:33 PM
Thank you for the replies,
Alan, i will isolate (unbond) the grounding and the grounded.
My only concern is the meter location and as suggested i may install a metal cover VS clear plastic.

Thanks again for the replies.
© ECN Electrical Forums