ECN Forum
Posted By: skipper adding a second meter - 01/22/07 02:50 PM
what is the best way to tap the entrance cable at the meter socket ? also my second panel is 50 ft away do i need to have a disconect just after the meter ?
Posted By: Roger Re: adding a second meter - 01/22/07 03:20 PM
Will your POCO even allow the second meter on this one drop or lateral?

Roger
Posted By: skipper Re: adding a second meter - 01/22/07 03:40 PM
the women i talked to at NStar told me that since i had a 200amp service and was only adding a 100 amp panel that i could just tie into the existing meter and add the second meter. I dont know i dont do res. work. before i talked to the inspector i figure i get some info
Posted By: Roger Re: adding a second meter - 01/22/07 04:31 PM
Is this a lateral or overhead service?

Is NStar your POCO?

Roger
Posted By: skipper Re: adding a second meter - 01/22/07 04:39 PM
NSTAR IS MY POCO and it is and over head with a 4/0 service drop to the first meter
Posted By: renosteinke Re: adding a second meter - 01/22/07 04:53 PM
4/0 wire .... well, we're not talking about wire nuts here!

In similar situations, I instal a gutter in the service drop, before the meters. There, I make my splices, using NSI / Polaris set screw connectors. The PoCo has no problem with adding a seal to the gutter.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 01-22-2007).]
Posted By: skipper Re: adding a second meter - 01/22/07 05:53 PM
boy that helps thanks!
Posted By: Roger Re: adding a second meter - 01/22/07 07:08 PM
Now, for the rest of your question, both panels will need disconnecting means grouped together on the exterior of the building. If the existing panel already has a disconnect at the meter you will only need to supply one for the new panel.

Read 230.72

Roger
Posted By: BigB Re: adding a second meter - 01/23/07 02:47 AM
reno, does the poco require you to supply the sealable screwheads?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: adding a second meter - 01/23/07 03:25 AM
The gutters made by Hoffman come with a small hasp that will accept a seal.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: adding a second meter - 01/23/07 05:23 PM
Reno, whats in the wp boxes with the in use covers on the sides of the meters? Are they gfi receptacles?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: adding a second meter - 01/24/07 01:20 AM
Yes, they are. This happens to be my home - a duplex - and fronts on the parking area. I thought it a good place for receptacles.

For those who don't recognize it, the meter box is really an "all in one". That is, meter on top, lower half a main breaker as wellas the branch circuit breakers.
Posted By: DougW Re: adding a second meter - 01/24/07 01:42 AM
One of my first installs I nippled together two single bases. Oops. Got the Commonwealth Edison install book and learned they only allow multiple bases like these:

[Linked Image from i44.photobucket.com]
© ECN Electrical Forums