ECN Forum
Posted By: gfretwell Is 6x6 welded steel wire OK for 680.26(C)? - 01/05/07 04:26 PM
BOAF (Florida) has ruled that in bonding the 3' of pool deck around the pool you can use 6 over steel mesh for the bond. It needs to be connected with a listed method, not just tie wires. This is just the latest guess about what 680.26(C) really says.

Here is a copy of the BOAF Informal Interpretation released yesterday on the subject of Section 680.26(C) of the 2005 NEC. I’ve also provided a link to download it directly:

http://www.boaf.net/pdf/I-List/4856.pdf

Date: Thu Jan 4 2007

Report #: 4856

Code: ELECTRIC

Section: 680.26(C) (2005 NEC)

Question:

Is it the intent of 680.26(C) to require either steel reinforcing rods (rebar) or #8 bare, solid copper

conductors installed as specified in the code to form the equipotential common bonding grid required for

paved walking surfaces within within three feet of the inside walls of a swimming pool, or is it acceptable

to utilize 6X6 W4 wire welded mesh commonly used for slab reinforcement tied to the reinforcing steel

of the pool shell with wire ties?

Answer:

The recent adoption of the 2005 NEC has generated a lot of discussion whether this is an acceptable

method based on the wording referenced in the code. 6X6X10WWF (Welded Wire Fabric (Mesh)) is

acceptable when properly installed on chairs and each section is clamped with appropriate listed devices

and/or #8 solid copper jumpers. This product is specifically referenced in Article 547 for agricultural

buildings and has been used for many years. While the mesh may not be installed directly in earth contact

or without the proper cover, it is considered to be an acceptable method of meeting the equipotential

bonding grid requirement when properly installed.

Commentary:

Editors Note: Much discussion regarding this requirement has occurred and possible changes to this

section for clarification and/or specifying the requirements are being proposed for the 2008 NEC.

Outcomes from the review of those proposals need to be monitored for possible future changes to this

item.

Notice:

The Building Officials Association of Florida, in cooperation with the Florida Building Commission, the Florida

Department of Community Affairs, ICC, and industry and professional experts offer this interpretation of the Florida

Building Code in the interest of consistency in their application statewide. This interpretation is informal, non−binding and

subject to acceptance and approval by the local building official.
Gfretwell:
Last I heard in NJ....rebar or #8 Cu. That's to say the 'official' opinion (verbal) from DCA here. Wire is a no-no.

Yes, there's a lot of discussion & some confusion.

We implemented the 2005 as of Nov. 1, 2006. And pool season is about 2-3 months away. Although with the mild (so far) winter, I had two IG pool apps in the pile today.

John

Edit:
Rereading your post, our take is rebar, or the #8 Cu. One EC found the #8 grid, pre made (Haggar I think) it was $$$$$.
IMHO, rebar is economical & should be the way to go.

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 01-05-2007).]
gfretwell...

Thank you for the informative post regarding this issue.

Although Masachusetts has adopted the 2005 NEC...I have yet to see any inspection authority enforcing 680.26(C)

shortcircuit
To Greg and the rest of you monitoring this Board:
Since Michigan will be adopting the '05 NEC soon I would be interested in any additional information on this new requirement for the "grid extention" in the '05 NEC. Please post it here if you don't mind or send me an e-mail with "Pool" in the subject line. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 01-05-2007).]
We had a long discussion about this a bit over a year ago and there were pictures of the 12 over copper mesh in action.
This will be ceared up in the 2008 NEC, where it specifically permits it. With that said, I would allow it now as an inspector, although I wasn't before.
Ryan they still never defined "Reinforcing steel" and the inspectors who thought that meant rebar still will.
IAEI Florida has a discussion about this that is up to 7 pages and they are still arguing about what reinforcing steel is.
http://www.iaeifl.org/cgi-bin/ubb/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000332;p=1
© ECN Electrical Forums