ECN Forum
Posted By: Steve T Weather head - 12/06/06 11:01 PM
If a service raceway is running vertically downward, is there a need for a weatherhead?

I know the separately bushed openings are needed but isn't the fact that the raceway is facing down make it weatherproof?
Posted By: iwire Re: Weather head - 12/06/06 11:07 PM
I am trying to picture that.

Anyway I would say in that case you would have a definite violation if you did install a weather head.

I guess I would put a bushing on the raceway and pack it with duct seal.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Weather head - 12/07/06 02:30 AM
That's strange. I have seen on a building exactly what you are describing here. They did use a service head and it is definitely one strange looking service. I may have time tomorrow to stop by and take a picture of it so it can be posted here.
Posted By: Steve T Re: Weather head - 12/07/06 03:30 PM
iwire--exactly. If you put a typical weatherhead on a pipe running downwards, the head can fill up with water. And freeze in winter.

The code says when you 'use' a weatherhead the conductors have to come through separately bushed openings. If I don't use one then I don't need separatly bushed openings. Right?

By the way this is a two story building, with separate commercial tenants on the first floor and offices on the second floor. So the updated service for the second floor needed the weatherhead down lower for ComED connection. That's why it runs up.
Posted By: Helectric Re: Weather head - 12/08/06 05:13 PM
Deleted - I finally came to my senses after reading my own post. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Helectric (edited 12-08-2006).]
Posted By: earlydean Re: Weather head - 12/08/06 08:48 PM
There is a device called a "power-head". It keeps the bugs out of the conduit, and has the separate bushed openings like a weatherhead but leaves the conductors headed in the same direction as the conduit.
Posted By: Steve T Re: Weather head - 12/19/06 10:43 PM
Can you provide a manufacturer of this 'powerhead'?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Weather head - 12/19/06 11:27 PM
Steve:
It looks similar to a "T" condulet....with 3 or 4 bushed openings
Try OZ Gedney....if anyone.....

John

PS:
try an e-mail to steve.norako@egseg.com
He's a rep I met at a seminar last week here in NJ
Appleton, OZ, and a lot more
www.egseg.com

John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 12-19-2006).]
Posted By: patrick1 Re: Weather head - 12/22/06 11:48 AM
There is a Sealing bushing by OZ Gedny which fits the bill for separating conductors and attaches to the end of the conduit. Type FR IS A COUMPOUND BUSHING UNDER THECATEGORY OF SEALING BUSHINGS FOR STEEL RIDGID CONDUIT. AND TYPE KR IS CLOSE TO THE SAME ANIMAL. i REMEMBER uSING ONE IN A VAULT NOW THAT I FOUND IT IN THE OZ BOOK. Ive yet to see something called a power head but still am interested for downward vertical runs of service conduit terminations if there are any other solutions.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Weather head - 12/24/06 09:42 PM
here is OZ Gedney's:
http://www.o-zgedney.com/PDF/R1thru24.pdf

They call it a conduit sealing bushing
Posted By: Steve T Re: Weather head - 12/27/06 02:54 AM
Patrick1--

Welcome aboard the bboard.
© ECN Electrical Forums