ECN Forum
Posted By: Reel-Break Door bell xfmer - 12/04/06 01:25 PM
Is there building codes or other issues with putting bell transformers in the attic space as long as there`s a pull down stair way making it accessible?Got red tagged last week. The one we use is edwards and it has a thermal cut out. The inspectors are sighting a safety concern with fire.

Thanks for some input.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Door bell xfmer - 12/04/06 02:04 PM
Transformers used with Class 2 or 3 circuits are exempt from the rules of Article 450 by 450.1 exception #4. Class 2 and 3 circuits are in parts I and III of Article 725. Section 725.51 covers the wiring on the supply side of the transformer. Did you violate something here? What do the installation instruction say about mounting this transformer? Is there a problem with excessive heat in this attic? Is your transformer marked with Class 2 or 3? Is the location of the cables or transformer subject to damage?
If the inspector cannot cite a specific code section you have violated, then there probably is not a violation.
Posted By: sawdust454 Re: Door bell xfmer - 12/04/06 02:32 PM
The last transformer I installed listed on the box do not install in attics, maybe this is the red tag reason? As a side note I have also seen more doorbell transformers fail installed in attics then other areas.
Ron
Posted By: HCE727 Re: Door bell xfmer - 12/05/06 04:35 AM
Check out the Nutone # bk140slpb.
Posted By: Reel-Break Re: Door bell xfmer - 12/05/06 02:26 PM
No everything good just they maintain it can`t go in the attic. maufact instructions don`t say I can`t and the xfmer has thermal cut out at 109c. Edwards is the one i`m using.We`re still hashing out the details for now he said it won`t hold up the CO but I need some verification for next time.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Door bell xfmer - 12/05/06 03:23 PM
I seem to recall that there is such a rule, paseed in the last two code cycles... but I have not found it.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Door bell xfmer - 12/05/06 04:32 PM
Quote"I seem to recall that there is such a rule, paseed in the last two code cycles... but I have not found it"

Reno, I don't remember any such change in the last two cycles, so my suggestion is don't look to hard for it.
This could be a local ammendment thing. My inspectors wanna see the instructions on the box if it is put into an attic or other confined space.
Posted By: George Little Re: Door bell xfmer - 12/05/06 05:09 PM
State of Michigan has a requirement that if you have a violation, the inspector or building official has to reference the code (law) you violated. Besides, I'd look rather stupid going into a court of law and try to convince 12 honest men/women that there was a violation and not be able to tell them which law they broke. duh!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Door bell xfmer - 12/06/06 01:54 AM
Mike, If I know something for a fact, I'll say so. This thread deals with one of those trivial bits that I've never really had any involvement with, so my grasp of detail is pretty weak.

Yet, I would not dismiss the assertion out-of-hand; something sounded familiar. I'm still looking...

I did find that UL treats general-purpose transformers as though the terminations were rated for 60C. I can see where that van easily be exceeded in an attic.

As I said, this thread has me thinking, and looking.

And I agree; you don't 'cite' unless you CAN cite!
© ECN Electrical Forums