ECN Forum
Posted By: George Little Isolated piping - 09/20/06 03:01 AM
With the cost of copper being so high, I see the plumbers using non-metallic piping for the supply lines in new construction. They quite often use short pieces of copper (about 12 to 24") at the fixtures. Should we be concerned about these scattered piping sections some of them are maybe 6 feet long. Do the inspectors as for compliance per 250.104(A)(1)?
Posted By: Steve T Re: Isolated piping - 09/20/06 03:25 AM
I wouldn't call short sections of copper a 'metal water piping system', although I could see where somebody would.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Isolated piping - 09/20/06 03:33 AM
Welcome to our world. I haven't seen metal pipe here in years but the faucets are still some kind of metal. I feel your pain.
I don't think there is anything definate but bear in mind the "may become energized" language and look at the installed equipment. I like the "EGC of the equipment likely to energize" concept. I would want them to grab the EGC of an insta'hot or things like that to bond nearby plumbing. I am not sure you do anything with a corian sink, metal faucet and no nearby equipment.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 09-19-2006).]
Posted By: e57 Re: Isolated piping - 09/22/06 08:58 AM
In a situation like that I would be more worriied for the plumber. [Linked Image] He goes to solder a joint on that and melts a fitting in the wall......
Posted By: JBD Re: Isolated piping - 09/22/06 03:02 PM
In 250.104(B), the NEC now uses the specific phrase "likely" to become energized. In this context a dictionary equivalent(synonym) is "probably" become energized.

This was a change in the 2005 NEC from the loosely defined phrase "may" become energized.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Isolated piping - 09/22/06 07:11 PM
NO. Isolated sections of pipe are not systems.
© ECN Electrical Forums