ECN Forum
Posted By: cgw One house service for multiple apartment bldgs - 09/03/06 12:18 PM
A group of say 9 apartment buildings (6-12 separate entrance apartments). I need a small house feeder/panelboard to each building for outside lights and other minor house loads.
Each building will have the 6-12 meters for the tenants.
Can we install one house service meter on one of the buildings and run feeders to the other buildings for the house load?
The buildings are all owned and maintained by one owner.
Look at 225.30 and talk to the AHJ and possibly you will have a solution.
Florida IAEI guys had a similar discussion and ended up with the opinion that convenience was not a good enough reason to allow multiple feeders into a building.
They wanted separate meters on a single service in each building.
I thought it was pretty well covered in the NEC but reading it again, I am getting a bad feeling about it. I will call an inspector ASAP.
Each separate building would have one service (230.2) plus a feeder (225.30).
IMO The inspector might allow it per 225.30(D) I would certainly talk to them about it beforehand.

If you are allowed to do this you will be required by 225.31 to install a disconnecting means, that disconnecting means would have to be service rated per 225.36.
Bob- (iWire) That's what I was thinking. In the interest of safety and not creating a monster of an expense I could see a contractor using 225.30(D) and applying some good signage and I would pass it if it were in my jurisdiction. Of course he would need to use the rules you mentioned in 225.31 also.
If you have any form of emergency supply for the house panel feeder then there will be no question as to the legality of using a feeeder instead of a service. You could pay for the cost of a small generator by just the savings on the multiple meter fees.
--
Tom Horne
© ECN Electrical Forums