ECN Forum
Posted By: George Little FA Cable & wire - 08/09/06 12:34 AM
Need some information on color codes for fire alarm circuits, J-boxes, jacketed cables and wire in couduit or EMT. All I'm finding is that it must be identified as fire alarm cable and that the enclousures must be red. The question really is: Does does jacked fire alarm cable need to be colored red? I think CI cable only comes in red?? Code reference please.
Posted By: Ron Re: FA Cable & wire - 08/09/06 01:13 AM
All of the varied interpretations you describe are flowery versions of the national code:

760.10 Fire Alarm Circuit Identification.
Fire alarm circuits shall be identified at terminal and junction locations in a manner that will prevent unintentional interference with the signaling circuit during testing and servicing.

There may be some local modifications.
Posted By: George Little Re: FA Cable & wire - 08/09/06 09:20 PM
Okay ron- Let me be more specific- Does the otter jacket of a cable used for a fire alarm system have to be red?
Posted By: Ron Re: FA Cable & wire - 08/09/06 10:50 PM
Other than an attempt to comply with 760.10, they do not need to be red that I am aware of.
Posted By: John Crighton Re: FA Cable & wire - 08/11/06 05:31 PM
George, I don't think the cable jacket needs to be red. It just needs to be identified with the appropriate class (such as FPLR).

Your question was about jacketed cable, but when I buy 2-conductor "zip" cord FPLR cable, it's white. I don't see why it wouldn't be subject to the same color restrictions as jacketed cable, if there were any.

Also, I've seen jacketed 4-conductor UL-listed FPLR cable offered in white, blue, green and yellow.
© ECN Electrical Forums