ECN Forum
Since GFCI receptacles are now quite reasonably priced might it be time for code language that requires GFCI receptacles to be in the same room as any other receptacles they control? Note that I'm only talking about GFCI receptacles and not breakers. I'll admit to being ambivalent about the blank face GFCIs. Can anyone think of a reason not to have them under the same restriction. Be advised that I'm not referring to the ones placed for serving pools.
--
Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Makes sense to me!
Sounds to me like......
Exterior, garage, basement (unfin), bathrooms, etc.
A great step forward for convenience, although the 'code' is not convenient.

Also would be a blessing for us AHJ's, save a lot of trips up & down the stairs. Heck, I may have to sign-up at a gym!

John

PS: All kidding aside, it's a good thought.
In my opinion it is a design decision.

Are we also going to require the branch circuit OCPD to be located in the room it serves?

Same inconvenience and safety issues.

As it happens we very rarely 'load side' any GFCIs, most of the prints we get show a separate GFCI at each point of use. But why take away options if mealy for convenience.

Plus this keeps John out of the gym. [Linked Image]

Bob
The NEC is a minimal code standard, intent upon listing minimal standards for the safe operation of electrical systems. It would exceed the stated purpose of the NEC to require the use of receptacle type GFCI devices in every outlet requiring GFCI protection.

Go for it if you want, I do.
If nothing changes in the ROC we are going to have AFCIs on all the 120v circuits anyway so a tripped GFCI will be the least of your worries. The NFPA/government is out of control.
gfretwell Wrote:
If nothing changes in the ROC we are going to have AFCIs on all the 120v circuits anyway so a tripped GFCI will be the least of your worries. The NFPA/government is out of control.
Sir
You have that right! They reject common sense proposals such as changing the name of the "Equipment Grounding Conductor" to "Equipment bonding Conductor" But they let manufacturers jam this cure in search of a disease down our throats. We are going to have to fight that particular battle state by state and locality by locality. They are going to begin reversing the progress that was being made to standardize codes across jurisdictions and return to the balkanization effect of yesteryear.
© ECN Electrical Forums