ECN Forum
Posted By: shortcircuit Grounding of ranges - 02/18/05 12:19 AM
Does 250.140 exception(2005 NEC) allow the extension of a exsisting type SE service-entrance cable feeding a range to a new location in a kitchen remodel in a dwelling by installing a juction box, which is grounded with the SE, extending the supply circuit(with SE) to the new location of the range, and grounding of the range with the SE cables grounded circuit conductor as it was originally installed?

shortcircuit
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Grounding of ranges - 02/18/05 05:52 PM
I don't see that directly addressed but it does sound reasonable that if you can use an existing 3 wire circuit you can extend it.
I think that if replacement is practical it should be done but I also understand that can be an unreasonable burden in old work.
Posted By: iwire Re: Grounding of ranges - 02/19/05 11:53 AM
Shortcircuit IMO extending that circuit is not allowed by Rule 3 of our (MA) 527 CMR 12:00: 2005 MEC.

Rule 3. Additions or modifications to an existing installation shall be made in accordance with this Code without bringing the remaining part of the installation into compliance with the requirements of this Code. The installation shall not create a violation of this Code, nor shall it increase the magnitude of an existing violation.

I do not know anyway you can add to this circuit and meet the new code.

As an example can you add a grounding receptacle to a K&T system?

Also IMO the NEC will not allow what you are asking about, the new location for the range is just that a new location / installation.

IMO existing as used by NEC 250.140 exception means where it is now, not where you want to move it.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-19-2005).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Grounding of ranges - 02/19/05 01:15 PM
The only way I have done this is if the wire reaches to the new location of the range which is usually a few feet to the left or right. If it does not I run a new circuit.
© ECN Electrical Forums