ECN Forum
Posted By: George Little Home Automation System - 05/28/06 10:26 PM
I wrote a violation last week to a contractor who had installed a duplex receptacle on a wall and it had a nub in between the two blades of the receptacle that prevented one from pluging in anything but a special cap with a recess that would straddle the nub on the receptacle. For me this does not satisfy the code for a general purpose receptacle required by 210.52 NEC. He ended up installing a duplex receptacle with half of it with the nub and half of it without the nub. He then split wired the receptacle so he could control half of it with the home automation system and the other half would serve the wall space as a general receptacle. Was I wrong?
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Home Automation System - 05/28/06 10:37 PM
George, that's a good question. Is there anything in the NEC that specifies the receptacle configuration?

I see 125v, 15- and 20-amp receptacles, but nothing that prohibits, say, a twist-lock. The nub is to reject the insertion of a non-dimmable load.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Home Automation System - 05/28/06 10:38 PM
oops

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 05-28-2006).]
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: Home Automation System - 05/28/06 10:52 PM
I'm not an inspector but agree with you. How can the receptacle satisfy the requirement of a general purpose receptacle when it is a special receptacle that will only take a certain cord?
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Home Automation System - 05/29/06 06:00 AM
It seems to me that a dimmer-controlled receptacle (I'm making that leap that the receptacle is dimmer-controlled, because that is the purpose of those particular receptacles) does not meet the G.P. receptacle requirements of 210.52.
Posted By: e57 Re: Home Automation System - 05/29/06 07:28 AM
Funny I brought up the same thing with someone doing the exactly same about the same time. Otherwise, it doesnt cover spacing for general use.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Home Automation System - 05/29/06 07:36 PM
Okay, I'll play devil's advocate here.

Where does the NEC specify that a required receptacle be only a straight-blade or "non-nubbed" type, or must or must not be of any particular configuration?

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 05-29-2006).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Home Automation System - 05/29/06 07:57 PM
Okay, I'll play devil's advocate here.

Cool, someone has to. [Linked Image]

Where does the NEC specify that a required receptacle be only a straight-blade or "non-nubbed" type, or must or must not be of any particular configuration?

It does not, but it does require we use 15 or 20 amp 125 volt receptacles.

While a locking receptacle can meet this I bet the 'special purpose' receptacle is rated less than 15 amps.

Even if the receptacle is rated 15 or 20 amps I would also bet the circuit supplying it is not.

I doubt the home automation equipment uses an 1800 watt or larger dimmer for a table lamp. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Home Automation System - 05/30/06 01:29 AM
Remember, Bob, standard dimmers are rated at only 600 watts, and do not require OC protection at this (5a) level.
Posted By: iwire Re: Home Automation System - 05/30/06 01:43 AM
I agree Larry but there is no requirement for 15 or 20 amp lighting outlets.

There is a requirement for a 15 or 20 amp receptacle circuit. [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Home Automation System - 05/30/06 06:21 AM
Dear Devil's Advocate,

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.
This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. Receptacle outlets required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is part of a luminaire (lighting fixture) or appliance, located within cabinets or cupboards, or located more than 1.7 m (51/2 ft) above the floor.

Some of the systems accociated with home automation coud be considered appliances, and intended as control of a luminaire only. If the outlet is not available for any other use than lighting, doesn't that make it a lighting outlet?

Receptacle outlets are defined diffeently than lighting outlets.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Home Automation System - 05/30/06 12:23 PM
Okay. Define those receptacle outlets, and show where it states that they must accept a particular receptacle configuration.
Posted By: George Little Re: Home Automation System - 05/30/06 01:05 PM
Okay Larry- Put the inspector hat on - go to court, explain to the judge why Mrs. Homeowner don't have a place to plug in her TV or her Vacuum Cleaner unless she changes the cap on the cord. Get real Larry, your just messin with us. [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Home Automation System - 05/31/06 01:23 AM
It's not the configuration.... It's the fact that it is powered by a dimmer... A switched outlet is one thing, a dimmed outlet is another. By proxy it becomes part of the lighting system. Plug a vaccum or a computer into it and it may not be so nice. As it is not usable as a 15-20A outlet, IMO it does not count as one, it is a lighting outlet.... As the cord cap for them is described here. http://www.lutron.com/applicationnotes/048085b.pdf
"The DFDU and HFDU receptacles with the RP-FDU plug are UL listed for use with
specific Lutron dimmers for the control of portable lamps."

However a 1/2 dimmed would....
© ECN Electrical Forums