ECN Forum
Posted By: royta kitchen remodel - slab floor - recep in island - 05/09/06 04:15 PM
Hello again, it's been a while.

I'm working on a kitchen remodel and suggested to the customer that a receptacle at the island would be a good idea. It is a slab floor. I plan on coming off of one of the receps (2x4 outside wall - So Cal) to a 4S box, then conduit from the 4S box, down the wall and through the bottom plate to the island. I see that FMC is off limits, but what about LFMC or LFNC? It is both suitable for direct bury, but I couldn't see whether or not it is suitable for contact with concrete. The nice thing about LFMC or LFNC is that if the customer was off by a couple inches on the location of the island wall, it would be much easier to break the concrete on the island end of the conduit and move it over slightly. This wouldn't be possible when using RNC, IMC, or RMC. If no LFMC or LFNC, what would you suggest?

Regarding minimum cover requirements in 300.5, would this be classified as "In trench below 50-mm (2-in.) thick concrete or equivalent" or "Under a building"? Or could I get away with just a notch in the slab?

Thank you.

Roy

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 05-09-2006).]
If you just notch the slab you could use Smurf.
You could also use the liquidtite under the slab and transition to RNC for the penetration.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 05-09-2006).]
If I used smurf, would the tile guy still be able to fill the notch with cement, or whatever they use, in order to create a solid foundation for the application of the tile? If not, then I should be able to use LFNC or LFMC for the same application, correct?
Smurf... ehhw.... It may not survive the site prep.... Or for that matter, if this is in a shallow bed of mortar for the tile, it may not survive the day the fridge or stove gets rolled in over it, and you end up with snapped tiles along the tubing.... Unless you trench below the mortar bed...

However, I have done this and it does work out rather well. Drop down in RMC out of the wall and over to your Island. (You could drive a truck over that with no damage.) A 90 down out of the wall from (NO BOX) to the Island, and a slight kick under the toe-kick. Then put a romex connector on each side, and push romex right through, with plenty of length to make it to where you're going in the Island. When the cab goes in, that wire goes under the toe, and anywhere you like. If they are doing a wall, have 'em throw it in, and take it right where you want to go....
If you mud that in with a couple inches of "super" I am not sure what would break it.
Sounds good to me with this one comment- Some inspectors would ask that you use UF cable due to the fact that this would be considered a wet location and NM cable would not be suitable for a wet location.
Didn't I already respond to this question?

I vote for PVC under, not in, the slab with UF from box to box (if the PVC is a sleeve) or THWN conductors if the PVC is run box to box.
© ECN Electrical Forums