ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Let me have 12" - 01/31/06 01:39 AM
Do any inspectors in you jurisdictions permit an exception to 334.15(C) for the first 12" off a foundation wall, or off the middle support beam in a basement.
In other words, can you staple smaller sized NM cables to the bottom of joists within 12" of the walls, or beams?
Posted By: George Little Re: Let me have 12" - 01/31/06 04:43 AM
Redsy- We're not on the '05 code here in Michigan but I follow you with the 12" example. I guess I'd have a problem with it and ask the installer to comply with the literal wording of the code. In that same code section they make reference to having a non-metallic bushing or adapter on the end of the conduit or tubing where the NM cable enters. Does this mean we can't use a metal fitting in this application? This is new in the '05. Another new item in Article 334 is the reference to using thermal insulation for fire or draft stopping & derating conductor ampacity when running 2 or more cables through a framing member- 334.80.

I guess the fun will begin soon [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 01-30-2006).]
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Let me have 12" - 01/31/06 03:29 PM
No exception for NM on the bottom of joist.

George: One benefit of Indiana making up their own rules is they also deleted the paragraph about derating in 334.80

Alan--
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Let me have 12" - 01/31/06 05:43 PM
Derating really won't be an issue until it is around 4 RX in a hole since 240.4(D) and the 90c insulation creates a lot of wiggle room. The only tricky spot may be right above the panel. (but that has always been ugly).
Interesting question ... what if I "nipple" through the insulated hole? A nipple <24" does not get derated. Short little pieces of conduit may be saved from the dumpster by this.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Let me have 12" - 02/01/06 01:07 AM
OK, no staples. What about "Stack-Its" installed on the beam at the proper spacing 4'6"(or less),and several or more NM Cables supported by them? This is common in my neck of the woods, as is the 12" rule.
Posted By: George Little Re: Let me have 12" - 02/01/06 02:03 AM
Redsy- I can support your Steelers but not your 12" rule. Small cables below the floor joist in the basement need protection via running boards or some other method but the 12" rule don't get it in Michigan [Linked Image]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Let me have 12" - 02/01/06 03:36 AM
Thank you, Guys.
BTW,

What is the intent of this rule? I've gotten several different opinions.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 02-01-2006).]
© ECN Electrical Forums