ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Lights & Receptacles - 01/27/06 12:16 AM
Lighting outlets and receptacle outlets on the same branch circuit in a non-residential facility. Assuming adequate circuit capacity, is this a code, or design issue?

Thanks.
Posted By: George Little Re: Lights & Receptacles - 01/27/06 12:30 AM
Design issue.

Prior to the use of EBU's in Michigan we kept the lights and receptacles separate.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Lights & Receptacles - 01/27/06 12:31 AM
I believe the same 50% rule applies.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Lights & Receptacles - 01/27/06 12:49 AM
Thanks guys.
It must be one of those mysterious "hearsay code" rules.

Larry,

210.23(A)(2) would seem to specifically exclude fixtures from the 50% rule?
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Lights & Receptacles - 01/27/06 01:51 PM
Then you have my blessings. There is still a concern that a malfunctioning equipment could leave one in the dark, but egress lighting should come into play.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Lights & Receptacles - 01/28/06 03:52 PM
Redsy:
Design issue...albeit a questionable design, can't put the NEC to blame. As Larry said, lighting issue may arise.

All in all, NOT on my comm job.

John
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Lights & Receptacles - 01/28/06 06:24 PM
To continue the discussion, I rarely combine lighting and receptacles even in residential work. It saves money, time, troubleshooting, and is better for the homeowner, who doesn't lose 100% of power in a room from a single fault.
Posted By: iwire Re: Lights & Receptacles - 01/28/06 06:40 PM
Suppling the 120 volt receptacles from the 277 volt lighting circuits raises heck with PCs and power tools. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Lights & Receptacles - 01/28/06 10:45 PM
Yeah, but if you're in a hurry, it's great for a few minutes.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Lights & Receptacles - 01/29/06 12:17 AM
Thanks guys!
There were several time in my old facility when miss secretary plugged in a ceramic heater to warm her toes and left others "in the dark".
This case invloves pulling a new surface run off an existing flush receptacle, in order to eliminate an extension cord (no additional load expected). But, as it turns out the receptacle is fed from the light switch in the storage room behind it. I'm not yet sure if any other lights(or receptacles)are on the circuit.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Lights & Receptacles - 01/29/06 04:06 AM
I have a 1650W electric smoker that blew every breaker in the office we plugged it in until we finally sweet talked the building manager into giving us a dedicated 20a circuit. All it took was inviting him down for the ribs we cooked in it.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Lights & Receptacles - 01/29/06 04:35 AM
Red, in this case, I'd ask what the expected load for this new receptacle will be. What appliance, and what is its electrical use?
© ECN Electrical Forums