ECN Forum
Posted By: watersparkfalls AFI - 07/06/05 03:35 AM
if a room on a blueprint is called a bonus room but it has a closet can you feed it on a regular circuit? or does the closet make it a BR and must have a AFI ckt?
Posted By: George Little Re: AFI - 07/06/05 10:57 AM
If it looks like a rose and smells like a roe it's a rose.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: AFI - 07/06/05 08:41 PM
All bedrooms may not have closets and all closets are not in bedrooms.
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: AFI - 07/06/05 11:33 PM
"If it looks like a rose and smells like a roe it's a rose."

Not if the flower in question is named "bonus flower"

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 07-06-2005).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: AFI - 07/07/05 12:47 AM
If it looks like a rose and smells like a roe it's a rose.

But what if it smells like a rose? [Linked Image]

Yeah I had to edit this a bunch of times. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 07-06-2005).]

Posted By: boggerbutt2454 Re: AFI - 07/07/05 01:28 AM
Ask a couple of inspectors in your area and you'll probably get a couple different answers. I know I did. One said since it was a bonus room it didn't need to be but on the other side of town the inspector said any room that has a closet and could be used as permanate sleeping quarters has to be arc fault protected. I don't mind putting in the AFI, I just wish the inspectors would get on the same page.
Posted By: watersparkfalls Re: AFI - 07/07/05 06:17 AM
yea we need something like the ubc(uniform building code) although im not sure it helps and with electricians gray is our favorite color
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: AFI - 07/07/05 10:26 PM
No matter how many codes you have you will still get inspectors that are clueless.
Exhibit A
the inspector said any room that has a closet and could be used as permanate sleeping quarters has to be arc fault protected
Posted By: renosteinke Re: AFI - 07/08/05 02:10 AM
It's really a call that ought to have been made when the plans were submitted for approval by the building department.

Even with a custom home, there is quite a turnover, with most being sold in five years or so. It is very possible that today's "sewing room" will be presented as an additional bedroom at the time of sale. I would look at the room, and ask:
- Is it really big enough for a bed and dresser?;
- Is it located together with the other bedrooms:,
- Is it placed so traffic passes through it?;
- Are there any special features to define its' use?; and,
- Is the argument worth more than the $35 to put in an AFCI breaker?
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: AFI - 07/08/05 06:04 PM
Is the argument worth more than the $35 to put in an AFCI breaker?

If it is not a bedroom than yes it is worth the argument. Somebody has to hold the inspectors accountable. I'll take that challenge any day. Not just for the sake of being argumentative but strictly on the principal of the matter. An inspector is not infallable and I am not either. I expect to have issues pointed out from the inspector and I think it is importanat to point right back when the issue is with them. In the long run they might learn something that will save headaches for everyone. Or they will be even more bitter. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: AFI - 07/09/05 10:02 PM
Is the argument worth more than the $35 to put in an AFCI breaker?
Didn't you see Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

"One, you can never go to far! Two, if I'm gonna get busted, it's not gonna be by a guy like that!"
Posted By: gfretwell Re: AFI - 07/09/05 11:34 PM
Around here the same AHJ oversees plan review and inspection so I would expect the AFCI to get redlined in at the review stage or it is OK without one.
© ECN Electrical Forums