ECN Forum
Posted By: OreElect Minor label permits - 05/17/09 06:51 PM
Hello again. I have'nt posted for many moons but I was wondering if any of your areas use minor label electrical permits.
Here in Oregon, we are required to use for small projects.Even a replacement of a device,ballast etc, a minor label is required.

http://www.cbs.state.or.us/bcd/programs/minorlabel/el_minor_label.html#scope
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Minor label permits - 05/18/09 02:50 AM
I have not heard of such a concept before, it seems to be a unique form taken by your local bureaucracy.

Then again, Oregon is the only state whose citizens are deemed incapable of pumping their own gas.
Posted By: LarryC Re: Minor label permits - 05/18/09 03:07 PM
Then again, Oregon is the only state whose citizens are deemed incapable of pumping their own gas.

Add NJ to that list.

Larry C
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Minor label permits - 05/18/09 04:49 PM
I think it is strange that we used to think of Oregon as the land of the really free thinkers but they tolerate such oppressive regulation. That is also the state that wants to put a GPS tracker in every car isn't it?
That is something that would be broke a lot if it was in my car, at least wearing an aluminum foil overcoat.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Minor label permits - 05/19/09 01:38 AM
Larry:

Thank you from one of the "Jersey Guys" for remembering that we too.....cannot pump gas.......the credit is appreciated

Posted By: Jim M Re: Minor label permits - 05/19/09 03:24 AM
Don't know if it is the same idea or not but at least one jurisdiction here has post card permits for small jobs where only one inspection is needed,
Posted By: leland Re: Minor label permits - 05/19/09 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I think it is strange that we used to think of Oregon as the land of the really free thinkers but they tolerate such oppressive regulation. That is also the state that wants to put a GPS tracker in every car isn't it?
That is something that would be broke a lot if it was in my car, at least wearing an aluminum foil overcoat.

GPS: mass is thinking of that too. revenue, no gas tax just mileage tax. I say tolls for all the outa staters comming in to work. but........

Pumping your own gas: in Ma. as long as there is an automatic fire suppression system you can. If not, It MUST be full serve. But of course the attendant won't check the oil or wash the windows.

Hell, they are only making $10/hr. Be reasonable!!!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Minor label permits - 05/19/09 06:36 AM
How do you get the GPS into an out of state car?

I do believe some day all cars will have transponders that track your every move but if it isn't a federal law I don't see all states going along.
Posted By: OreElect Re: Minor label permits - 05/19/09 07:54 AM
Yea, If you go out on a single device change, light fixture replacement,etc they require us to use the minor label permit which we post a permit sticker on the panel and fill out a report and send each 5 minor label permit card to building codes. 1 out of 10 gets inspected. if it does not pass,you are fined $75 and are to correct the violation. The minor label costs the custumer $17- $25 depending on the contractor.I have heard some charge as high as $50.
So now if Grandma needs a switch replacement it will run $17 for the permit,.79 cents for the switch and $110 an hour min 1 hour + travel.

Posted By: OreElect Re: Minor label permits - 05/19/09 08:01 AM
Yea, each time I go out of state I pull up to the pump and wait for the gas pumper to come out.Im OK with it though Its quick and you dont have to get out of your car.
Its a strange thing.If you even put your hand close to the nozzle at a Oregon gas station,it would be like your pulling out a gun.They look at you like you need a college degree to do this.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Minor label permits - 05/19/09 04:36 PM
In Florida you would be waiting a while to get your gas, particularly at night. They usually only have one person working in a "shop and rob" and they are not allowed out of the store, you might not be allowed in. Some are behind bullet proof glass with a pass through window.
We also have some totally automated stations with nobody there at all. Just swipe your card and pump.
© ECN Electrical Forums