ECN Forum
Posted By: mdcash kitchen island - 01/25/08 07:07 PM
I have and island that is not fixed, my inspector said I need an outlet, is there any way around his ruling.
Posted By: LarryC Re: kitchen island - 01/25/08 09:06 PM
Call it a table!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: kitchen island - 01/25/08 10:54 PM
If it's not fixed, it's not an island. A boat, maybe laugh
Posted By: gfretwell Re: kitchen island - 01/26/08 04:59 PM
Push it out into the living room until he leaves
Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: kitchen island - 01/26/08 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Push it out into the living room until he leaves

Actually, this is a relatively practical solution.

However, the following is more what I expected to hear from the pros on this forum:

1) Ask him what code section he is getting this requirement from.

2) Check his reference carefully. If he's correct, think about Mr. Fretwell's suggestion.

3) If you don't believe the code supports him here, take him the reference and play nice: "Gee, sir, I still don't understand. Could you please explain..."

Or you could try KP8.

Back in my manufacturing days, I attended an Interaction Management seminar that emphasized dealing with others through "key points." KP1, KP2, KP3.

One of my co-workers suggested KP8: 'Hit him in the head with a two-by-four.' grin
Posted By: mdcash Re: kitchen island - 01/27/08 04:22 AM
The code reference he is quoting is 210.52 c2 out of the 07 nec, when I showed him the island wasn't fixed, he said "it was hard for one guy to move. The point is it can be moved by one guy without removing any part of the structure.
Posted By: leland Re: kitchen island - 01/27/08 04:15 PM
He needs re-education.'05 is the nearest code.
roll it to another rm. and get the inspection.
Or be a hard nose and take it over his head.Get it in writeing, that should slow him down.

edit: This is from the Newmexico, 2005 amendments.
have him show you. this is your only 210.52 items.

"(8) 210.52 (A) (2) (3). Wall Space. Add: “Exception: Free-standing cabinets designed to be used as an eating or drinking bar where stools or chairs are pulled up to a counter top which extends at least 300 mm (1 foot) from the front of the cabinet, shall not be considered as wall space.

(9) 210.52 (C) (3). Peninsula counter spaces. Add: “At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each peninsular counter space, when the total length of the peninsular has a long dimension of six (6) feet, or greater and a short dimension of one (1) foot, or greater. A peninsular countertop is measured from the connection edge.”

(10) 210.52 (G) Basement and garages. Add: “Receptacle outlets must be installed a minimum of eighteen (18) inches above finished floor, in attached or detached garages
Posted By: leland Re: kitchen island - 01/27/08 04:24 PM
MD: http://www.nmcpr.state.nm.us/nmac/parts/title14/14.010.0004.htm
Posted By: leland Re: kitchen island - 01/27/08 04:46 PM
UH_OH!

---is·land (lnd)
n.
1. Abbr. Isl. or Is. or I. A land mass, especially one smaller than a continent, entirely surrounded by water.
2. Something resembling an island, especially in being isolated or surrounded, as:
a. An unattached kitchen counter providing easy access from all sides.

2-A: It is unattached! this would be the 1st time i had ever seen this demand.

does "Define "is" ring a bell.
Posted By: mdcash Re: kitchen island - 01/27/08 11:43 PM
I'm sorry he is quoting the 05 nec, I think I'm going to have the cabnit guys come and move it out of the house, just to get an inspection. I should hear from my inspector on mon. morning.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: kitchen island - 01/28/08 05:25 PM
NEC 2008 changes the description of 210.52(C)(2)from "Island Counter Spaces" to "Island Countertop Spaces," but otherwise leaves it unchanged. What difference does that make? I don't know!

Intent of these codes is to eliminate extension cords in the kitchen. As a homeowner with a wired island (as well as being the electrician who had to wire the ^$@^$@^$ thing), I can tell just how important it is to have receptacles there, and that it's worth the effort, even for just a single receptacle.

So... just how portable *is* this island? If it's an island with cabinets and a countertop that the installers just didn't bother to secure it to the floor, then it should be properly fastened to the floor and have receptacles installed in it. And if it's a piece of furniture being used as an island? Put a floor receptacle beneath it and wire it up anyhow.
Posted By: mdcash Re: kitchen island - 01/28/08 09:39 PM
I talked to the head state inspector in my area and he said eiter put an outlet on it or pull it into the garage, so I decided to pull it into the garag. Even after I explained that the homeowners want to be able to move it next to the wall when not in use and pulled out when they have company over.
Posted By: leland Re: kitchen island - 01/29/08 03:52 AM
Is it on wheels? If not you may be poop outa luck.

After my own research, definition, code etc. It seems to meet the criteria for a rec.Unless it is TRULY portable.
Not even I would think that something that needs 2 men and a boy to move would be portable.

I think you got your answer. Sorry.
© ECN Electrical Forums