ECN Forum
Posted By: frenchelectrican exit light location and types - 09/19/05 12:04 AM
hello guys and ladies :

i have one question reguarding about the exit lumiaires and location.

I try to find the code reguarding about "multi location exit lumiaires" on the same door like one above the door and the other one near the floor level and can you guys help me to point this direction and code number [ both NEC and IRC or Building code ]

many thanks , Marc
Posted By: dlabrenz Re: exit light location and types - 10/12/05 03:59 AM
Marc,
The General rule is that the exitz have to be readily identified by an exit sign, and that exit signage must be visible along the entire path of egress. Exit signs may be space no more than 100 ft apart.

For more detailed info see the Int'l Building Code, Section 1011

Hope this helps

Don
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: exit light location and types - 10/12/05 04:13 AM
Don ;

many thanks for your time to help me on this one and yes i will look it up and get on the right track with exit lumiaires.

Thanks again

Merci , Marc
Posted By: Trumpy Re: exit light location and types - 11/06/05 05:20 AM
Marc,
Interesting point,
When exit lights and way point signs are going to be used (as in during a fire, or such), they should be down near a skirting board hieght.
You can't stand up in a smoke/heat-laden atmosphere for long.
The number of Fire deaths caused by this annually would prove this.
Considering that smoke will spread along the upper parts of a compartment in a building and move downwards towards the floor, would suggest to me that our thinking of Escape lighting is backwards.
Just my opinion though. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Paul O'Connell Re: exit light location and types - 12/03/05 04:58 PM
frenchelectrician:

You can find exit locations and emergency lighting locations in NFPA 101 Life Safety Code.
© ECN Electrical Forums