ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Separation Requirements - 08/17/05 03:35 AM
I recently did a service change for the house pictured. The stairs of the neighboring apartment building sure made it easy to get on the roof!

Most places- including this one- have set-back or separation requirements in their codes. This stair is an obvious violation. The danger is that of fire spreading from structure to structure.

(Of course, in some cases, you almost wish a fire would come along; this house is one such example).

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Celtic Re: Separation Requirements - 08/17/05 03:38 AM
That's some chimney.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Separation Requirements - 08/17/05 04:07 AM
It was obviously extended; see where the blackened bricks end?

Even weirder, the left house's gutter dumps into the right house's gutter.

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 08-17-2005).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Separation Requirements - 08/17/05 10:45 AM
If there was strict enforcement of current setback laws on existing dwellings there would be alot of homeless people around the country.
Posted By: houleelect Re: Separation Requirements - 08/17/05 02:36 PM
How old is the apartment building? How did they get away with this in the 1st place?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Separation Requirements - 08/19/05 12:08 AM
Good call John,
I've never seen 2 seperate houses this close together.
I'd hate to have to sell either of these houses.
The roof on the apartment building overhangs any sort of property boundary for a start.
Over here, you aren't allowed to have any part of a building within 6ft of a boundary line, that includes any roof overhang.
If the left side of the lower house caught fire to any degree, the people in the apartment above would lose their method of egress as well. [Linked Image]
Is that big truck for a quick get-away, in case the Building Inspector turns up?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: Separation Requirements - 08/21/05 02:20 AM
Is that big truck for a quick get-away, in case the Building Inspector turns up?

Its... its a Toyota. Not a good getaway vehicle.
© ECN Electrical Forums