ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco The floor dropped! Exit Sign OK? - 07/16/05 11:16 AM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: The floor dropped! Exit Sign OK? - 07/16/05 07:30 PM
Forget the sign, is the exit itself OK. The sign is a head bump hazard, the exit itself is a tripping hazard, and far from being accessable to those in a wheel-chair, or the elderly.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: The floor dropped! Exit Sign OK? - 07/17/05 03:54 PM
If the sign weren't lit, I'd swear that this is an inverted image.
Posted By: Roger Re: The floor dropped! Exit Sign OK? - 07/17/05 04:42 PM
This looks like a door to access a roof.

Now, even if this is the case, and there is a way to exit off of this roof, it seems as though there would have to be a way for the handicapped to use it too.

Is there an area of refuge close by?

Roger
Posted By: renosteinke Re: The floor dropped! Exit Sign OK? - 07/17/05 09:12 PM
I've seen several such doors- indeed, I had to look closely to see if it was one I recognised!

Such doors are rather common- and usually enter a maintenance or boiler room. I will concede that they usually don't look quite so nice- and the addition of a step or two wouldn't bother me at all!

Another situation where head clearance can be an issue is when the door opens immediately to a set of stairs.

I don't know if there even is a proper solution....signs have to take up a certain amount of space (especially if there are 'bug eyes' as well), and you can't really ,mount them ON the door......

Wait....aren't there approved glow-in-the dark exit signs these days? One of those could be posted on the door.

I still see a need for a more compace sign, though. Maybe someone will make one.
Posted By: e57 Re: The floor dropped! Exit Sign OK? - 07/18/05 12:44 AM
I think the glow in the dark "radiographic" ones are now illegal in California I think.
Posted By: dmattox Re: The floor dropped! Exit Sign OK? - 07/18/05 01:21 AM
I just passed a final inspection here in Irvine , CA with "nuke" exit signs.

I don't know how they are acceptable since they are about as bright as a wet matchstick, but thats what was decided when the A-sheets called for exit signs while the E-sheets didn't.
Posted By: Roger Re: The floor dropped! Exit Sign OK? - 07/18/05 01:23 AM
Brady has a solution, see thier Photoluminescent line of signs.

Roger
© ECN Electrical Forums